Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was playing w/ an ATM...

So I was playing w/ an ATM...

The other night I went to an ATM to grab some money before a fun night out! I got my money and then my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to experiment a bit. I got passed the normal ATM screen and into the 'PC-type GUI'. It was asking for a password. I then got scared and left.

I have a meeting I will tell you more later!

usually on ATMs, you can either push the top left button, and the bottom right button at the same time, or vice versa, to pull up the password screen. The same can be done with most POS devices such as those that you use to enter your PIN for a debit transaction. I am not sure, but would assume that they would have a lockout after so many attempts to prevent brute-forcing passwords. I am sure someone could shed more light on this, but that is all I have for now
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Just about an hour ago I did the same thing to a new ATM. This time it stayed in the 'Dumb-Terminal' type screen it usually looks like, but it gave me two options.

[Customer Transaction] or [Management somthing?].

I needed money, so I tried the "Customer Transaction" option by touching the screen. It then went back to it's normal mode. I can go back and check this one out a bit more as this machine doesn't have a camera. It is inside of a gas station though. I plan on checking out the other options.

Hmmmm,

I would advise against that.

1. You are messing with somebody else's equipment, and that may well be misinterpreted.

2. Just because you cannot see a camera doesn't mean that there isn't one

As the saying goes: "It's great fun until somebody loses an eye"

Be careful
    Last edited by nihil; September 25th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm this sounds to me like you are trying to hack the ATM. This is illegal you know and could be prosecuted for tampering with government property or whatever the penalty is.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

ATM Hacking is fairly easy. Two or three hours research will get you the basic information you need.

Like any other computer system, they all have factory default passwords for management functions. So you get the make and model and find the manual.

Here's what's going to happen.

You log on and re program the thing to think the stack holding the $20 or $100 if you're lucky, to believe Is the slot for the $10. Now you pop in your debit card and request $10 and get a 20. W00t!!!

HACK THE PLANET!

Oh yea you are on camera.

This will not work at a banking facility.

If you really want to steal, some of the older machines, still in use EVERYWHERE, have internal HDD's

Logg on to the ATM, use a straight through cable and copy the data from the HDD to your laptop. You'll have a days worth of account #'s and PINs Usually in PLAIN TEXT.

You'll need an impressive looking uniform. An ID badge usually helps (Don't use your real name)
    Another good place to get cc#'s and pins are gas pumps. Smash and grab the HDD's
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Here is an impressive looking uniform that will suit:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DISLEX
    I can go back and check this one out a bit more as this machine doesn't have a camera. It is inside of a gas station though. I plan on checking out the other options.
    I wouldn't.
    1) as Nihil says, I'd imagine that a camera could easily be hidden. In fact I would go so far as to say I think ALL ATM machines have at least one camera somewhere.

2) Even IF there are NO cameras within 20 miles I can guarantee it does have logs and given the noises they make it sounds like the log is printed locally as well as electronic copies who knows where.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I have some experience with ATMs. When I was a teller, I had to prove them out. On the ATMs that I used, you had to put it into maintenance mode. You couldn't do that from the front of the machine. (These were the ones built into the side of the building with the safes.) You had to have a key to open up the back panel and press a key sequence. From that panel, you could only access the internal keypad keypad, receipt bin and card capture slot. (Not the place for the $ bins, that was a 2 part code combo and I could only know half of it.) Then you had to take a maintenance card and go to the front of the machine and enter the PIN. The card and PIN varied depending on the month and week.

From as far as I could tell, you couldn't reprogram them. The BINs were specially marked and had different grooves in them. It was possible for the employee to mess up and put $10s in the $20s or vice versa, but there was always two people there double check the work. All you could do was run some tests and tell it if you added/removed $ from the bins. The bin test would run through a couple hundred $ and dump it into a "reject" bin. The only way to get $ to come out the front was to use a real ATM card.

Oh, and it has a motion alarm on it. If someone tries to access the safe on the back without disarming it, it triggers a silent alarm. Same if they try to pull it out of the wall using a truck or something.

And yes, all of the ATMs that I've used like that had cameras. These were the ones that could hold over $50,000 if using only $20s. Though, nobody ever filled it to capacity. I don't think we ever brought it over $10,000. It depends on stats for the area. If usage goes up, they stock it with more. Seeing that it gets proved on a daily basis, you only had to put a bit more $ in it for the weekend. These were not the cheep plastic ones you find in drug stores and 7-11....

Now, I'm sure they've got other modes for the repair guys... but thats all I could do as a teller.
    Last edited by phishphreek; September 26th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi,

Just been out to lunch and took a look at the nearest ATM to me. It is mounted in the wall of a convenience store.

To the right of the keypad there is a small oblong mirror with no apparent function............................no other signs of a camera, so I guess that is a two-way mirror?