Thread: Stress

Stress

Since we need some new content, I'm going to post up my paper for a class of mine. Not very long just three pages, did it the night before it was due.

Since the 1700's Philosophy broke up into a wide vary of topics. Happens to be that Psychology (my minor) falls under it. Thus, the reason why I posted it here in Cosmos.

I want you all to be happy, all of the practices found here work for myself and others.

Stress

Stress is essential to everyday life, it is the body's way of raising up to challenges and an edge to perform your best. The definition of stress is anything that requires an adaptive response on the part of the organism (anything that causes you to make a change or an adjustment). (J. Abascal, L. Brucato, P. Stephenson, D. Brucato, 2006).

Stress causes our adrenal glades to produce more hormones of adrenaline and cortisol. Which just as everything else, too much of anything can cause harm to our body. In most cases when we think of stress, we generally understand it as being negative and harmful to ourselves. Without it or low levels of it, can cause boredom which in turn causes a "bad stress." On the other hand, too much stress will cause you to experience anxiety. Some of us require stress to keep things interesting; that stress level depends from person to person.

We must find a balance (an optimal level) and a controllable level (different for each of us). In order to master stress (stress mastery) you must become increasingly aware of your situations and even more so your reaction. All of us have a tolerance to a stressful issue or situation. Each person has a stress level limitation and in some cases some are higher than others. Best treatment for stress is to not put yourself in a situation in which you fail to cope with. Not always can you avoid such outcomes (of having a choice to avoid it or not). Uncontrollable stress is social and financial problems, medical illness, lack of social support, and family history (Rhodes, Jr, MD, 2006). Since you cannot control these things you must dissolve it through practices or exercises (mental). We must first understand how strong the mind is, what you tell it, it believes. If stress isn't taken care of it grows into a larger, more complex problem. The nervous system can sense continued pressure and will remain slightly activated and continue to pump out extra stress hormones over time. This can wear out the "body's reserves," weaken the immune system and cause other problems. For example, if you were to cut yourself and do not take the time to take care of it, it has a chance of becoming an infection (which is a larger problem than to begin with). The mind is the same way, we must take the time to quiet it down and relax. With that take the time to stand against over scheduling and make a little time for yourself. Set goals that are realistic (don't try and be perfect), get a good night's rest, treat your body well (eat healthy), and watch what you tell your brain - it listens.

The cause of someones stress can be linked to post-traumatic stress. This type of stress, if you imagine is like a root (main problem) and as you go on with your every day life, problems that are associated with the trauma build upon it (making it stronger). You cannot kill a tree by trimming it, you ultimately make it stronger since you are not attacking the root. Yet if it is not post-traumatic stress, simply removing yourself from the frame of mind or situation for a few seconds will help. Relaxing and formulating a plan with positive steps can help as well. High levels of stress will make you feel hopeless and a feeling of being lost. Setting a goal helps terminate such feelings. Also, there is EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) which is an exercise to release normal day to day stress (being late to work/school, power in your house going out, forgot something on the way to work, ect.,). First find a quiet room, begin by moving your eyes from side to side keeping your head still (left to right). Keep a fair speed, not too fast nor too slow. Now tap to the movement of your eyes. Example, when you are looking left; tap the left temple and vise versa. While you are doing this focus on what is causing the stress, nothing else. If this is not working for you, than either you are not focusing or the stress is caused by a trauma in the past. In the past the Chinese have found a stress releaser, known as Chinese plugs. They found that our body is made up of plugs that if pressed/tapped and also with all of our intention, we can cause this stress to disappear. With that you must move your eyes in circles (just like a clock) and than in the reverse direction (without moving your head).

Stress can cause illness via the chronic levels of stress hormones, which is known as glucocorticoids, migrate white blood cells into bone marrow and hide-out. (J. Abascal, L. Brucato, P. Stephenson, D. Brucato, 2006). Thus, they cannot fight illness. The result is us becoming sick from the lack of white cells. Recently, researchers have found that high levels of stress can speed up the process of aging. They examined the caps at the ends of chromosomes, called telomeres. When a cell divides due to aging, the telomeres begin to grow shorter. Therefore over time they eventually get so short that cells can no longer divide, and they die. (Spivack, 2004) Build your tolerance for stress, by simply (with practice) believing you will succeed in whatever you want. See setbacks as something positive to your learning experience.

1.) Spivack, Mr (2004). Stress causing aging.
    Retrieved September 19, 2007, from Stress Causing Aging
    Web site: http://novaspivack.typepad.com/nova_...udy_finds.html

2.) Rhodes, Jr, MD, D (2006). Stress.
    Retrieved September 19, 2007, from Health Information
    Web site: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/stress/article_em.htm

3.)Abascal, Brucato, Stephenson & Brucato, J, L, P & D (2006).
    Essential Elements for Personal Effectiveness.

Note: I'll be posting my other paper due Oct. 8. Fifteen pages..
    Last edited by d00dz Attackin; September 27th, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Banned
    I hope you took out the abundance of spelling and grammatical errors before turning it in

Got a 98% on it... I'd imagine some spelling errors, as I tried to finish it and get in some sleep. Never revised it, in other words.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Banned
    Amazing... I'd start a rant on the declining standards at US schools, but I'll pass. I just hope you're not attending an Ivy League school

Amazing how you insult me with a smile.

Honestly, I saw you post and I automatically thought to myself; insult. (Without opening the thread.) Incredible control you held, not doing so when I posted in "Oops a Bug."

You are right though, it is crap.

Would you be interested in reading my thirty page paper on my analyzes of cancer? Being that it is my major, I begin writing a little more in advance, naturally .
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

I hope you took out the abundance of spelling and grammatical errors before turning it in
    But a paper with lots of grammatical errors is more likely
    to be original work and not plagiarism, no?

Stress can cause illness via the chronic levels of stress hormones
    You could have mentioned that this can be ameliorated by preparations
    of colored water mixed with ethanol
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.