Thread: a Cheap CERT

a Cheap CERT

I have been wanting to get a cert under my belt for a while now, and iv got a couple of brainbench certs under my belt but I need something with a bit of weight behind it now. i.e. M$, CISCO, or COMPTia. My employer does seem to want to shell out for training.

I have tried self study and I have found it very difficult, trying to fit around my family, work, and general life I found very difficult, and usually my study fell by the way side either because I was too tired, or just didnt have the inclination to break open the books after a 8 hour day in a school with autistic children. Because of this I have come to the conclusion that for me, the best option is a formal training style at a college or something, my only issue with this is cost obvuisly formal training is alot more expensive, which is an issue for me as cash isnt exactly like running water at the moment.

presently i`m on 16000 a year and an ICT technician been in the same kind of role for 7 years now at various different schools in the midlands. What would be my best alternative formal training-wise to get me on that next run of the ladder without me having to don a mask and rob the local barclays?

Thanx

Craig Dunn

I'm in a similar boat to you. My employer doesn't seem to want to pay for mine either. I'm also like you in that at the end of the day, sitting down for hours of reading isn't what I want to do. I do have to do it frequently in order to learn new systems that I have been assigned admin to. (They won't even send me off to training for that... how sad.)

Anyway, I've found the CBT Nuggets series a great help. One of my old college professors let me use his streaming subscriptions to check them out. No, I don't work for them and I don't get any kickbacks from them.

They have a bunch of free videos on there so you can check them out.
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/videos

I've been using them for the past couple of years in addition to books. I try to watch one or two 30-50 minute video a week depending on what it is. Sometimes I'll watch them in 1.4 or 1.5 speed if I'm not taking notes. I'm a pretty fast learner, so this works for me. If it's something I need to know for work, then I'll watch one or two a day for a week and finish the series in a week. If its something I just want to know for later down the road... then I'll do one or two a week. Sure beats watching all those dumb reality TV shows.

I must admit though, I have to go right to the library right after work or do these at lunch time. Otherwise, I can find 1000 excuses not to watch them.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

About $320 and some basic computer know-how will get you an A+ cert.

New guy here, but my 2 cents.

I don't know how it is for you folks across the pond, but I was able to go through my state government to get a grant to attend a CCNA bootcamp.

Free Training Videos

There are free training videos for Comptia's A+, Network+ and Security+ at:
    http://www.professormesser.com/

Now all you have to invest in is time, energy and effort.

Good luck!

cinanibor,

Please check top left before you post........this thread is almost 4 years old.