Thread: XP hard drive as slave to Vista

Banned

XP hard drive as slave to Vista

Anyone know if I should expect any issues in connecting a hard drive with Windows XP on it as a slave to a computer with Vista? I'm not planning on dual-booting or anything, just looking for a cheap and effective way to transport data files (Office stuff, mostly) from the XP hard drive to the new Vista hard drive. I'd use one of those Easy Transfer cables, but the XP box doesn't run anymore...

Well the first issue would be the boot order of hdd's. Other than that, you may need to monkey with permissions to copy the files in vista, which would have to be put back to their original state.
    Those are the only "issues" I have run across with the multiple data transfers that I have done in such a way.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Banned
    I was hoping that nobody would mention "permissions"
    Thanks!

The permissions on the XP drive should not be an issue. If you do run into problems then simply take ownership of the files.

If you use EFS, make sure you decrypt your files before you attempt to transfer the files.
    Last edited by phishphreek; November 25th, 2007 at 03:02 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi Dries,

Should work fine.............. I did one on Monday

As Phish~ says, the only issue would be with permissions and encryption. Just decrypt and take ownership mech and you should be OK.

I looked at my mate's old box..................... it works again, now..........

He is thinking of keeping the XP box for himself and giving the Vista one to his eldest

Please tell us about the dead XP box

Banned
    Thanks, phish and nihil - it's for a customer and I doubt he uses EFS!

I should have been a little more clear, when I said permissions. I just meant that you may have to take ownership to back them up. If your just doing a backup, make sure to restore the ownership or your customer may not have access to their desktop or files. They get really mad when that happens, learned that the hard way.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Banned
    Here's what happened:

I go over there, expecting a semi-hard time...

Turns out it's this beautiful Precision 490 (Man, I'd put that box in the middle of my living room!) with freaking Dual Xeon processors and 8Gigs of RAM. Customer didn't even opt for Vista, just XP! All I did was take out the old HD, and hook it up to the new puter... turns out the new one boots from the old hard drive (That wasn't cool - I boot up that freakingly-lookingly-new computer, and what does the customer see: the same thing they wanted to get rid off!)... I turned the Dell cables around, and it boots from the new one (I remember the days when you had to mess with jumpers and/or BIOS settings)!

Then, it was just drag-and-drop...

Thanks to all who have contributed to this succesfull enterprise