Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Official NHL thread

I know, I love em too. The game BADLY needed these changes. One thing I never see mentioned is, the height of the average player in the 60s, 70s, 80s, was about 5' 9". Now the average player is 6'2". Greater height means greater reach, meanwhile the rink size hasn't changed a lick. No WONDER there's no frickin' room out there.

Compounding this is the change in defensive approach. If you watch old games, you'll notice how much more lax defense was. Nowadays you can barely see the sweater of the team on offense, because they're wearing a defensive player like a 2nd jersey. That wasn't the case until sometime in the 90s. The game is also MUCH faster than it was back in the day.

Hi JPNyc,

Let's do the math huh?

1. With arms outstretched you measure the same as your height from fingertip to fingertip.
    2. 5' 9" to 6' "2 is five inches.
    3. They have two arms, so divide by two.

EUREKA!........I have it............. just shorten the sticks by 2.5"

Last edited by nihil; November 20th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

LOL, I would love to see all the missed pucks that would cause. Would be a riot.

Hmmm,

Well, at least the "P" is nowhere near the "F" on a QWERTY keyboard

Sorry, I forgot........... the game is MUCH faster?

Just set the minimum blade width higher.

Reminds me of my club's "Wappenshaw" at Bisley Camp. 2 in and 7 to count at 600x.... get a "V-Bull" (X-Ring to you guys) and you had to drink a pint of "handicap". Tough tactical decision there.......... "Do I want to win the trophy, or do I want to get pissed for free?"

Yes, our games keep having rule changes to make them more attractive to spectators (which is where the £$£$£$ come from isn't it?) or to "even things out", as in Formula-1 automobile racing.

I guess there are technology changes as well. What would the skates and sticks of the 1950's look like compared to those of today?

The solution they really need is a larger ice surface, but owners balk at that because it would mean reduced seating capacity. I don't know why they are so concerned about that because hockey games rarely sell out.

A friend of mine is a very prominent estate planner/banker here in New York City, and he told me when discussing a sports investment syndicate, the only time hockey is mentioned is when going for a laugh. Hockey is a financial disaster from an investment perspective.

geez Wolfman, what happened to the sens? Lost six straight, not playing well in their zone, goaltending gone south, they're unrecognizable.