Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official NHL thread

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Jersey is no longer playing the NZ trap. In fact, with the 2 line pass allowed, and restraining fouls being called as tightly as they are, the trap would no longer be as effective as it was. Your opponent can now have 2 forwards up ice by your bluelines, past your forwards but in front of your D, in a "cherry picking" position. This effectively breaks the trap.

Yah, that's right. That's why they allowed the 2 line pass, to get rid of the neutral zone trap. It also speeds up the game tremendously.

The Wolfman forgot about this..... good call....
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!
    The Wolfman's Homepage: http://www.fangtastic.org
    Do you dig the Wolfman?? Sign his Ghoulbook or listen to him Howl

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    You guys know nothing about hockey...else you would all be HABs fans

MLF

Montreal the Wolfman can stand. Toronto...that's another story.

Any Toronto fans in the hizzouse?

**The Wolfman realizes he needs to be careful here because his Ottawa Senators just got destroyed by the dismal Toronto Maple Leafs**
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!

I take it you also like the new rules? I'm one of the very few that likes them, at least on the New York Ranger forum. I think they open up the game considerably. For about a decade there, it was getting to be like watching paint dry. I still think a larger ice surface is needed, but these new rules have definitely helped.

I also always felt there should be no restraining whatsoever from behind. If your man got by you, well that's tough, you're beaten. You shouldn't be permitted to grab them from behind in any way shape or form. Glad they're finally calling those infractions.

I agree with you 100% JP. I actually stopped watching hockey for about 2 seasons before they announced the rule changes. The game was to slow, to boring to watch.

Since the rule changes have been put into place, the Wolfman hasn't missed one Ottawa Sens game......they are the best after all....

The players just need to get used to the hooking calls and things will be better. You still see the occasional call that looks bad and the players will complain. But as you said, if you are beat and the player has already passed you...your done. Don't hook him in any way or you will get the call.

GO SENS GO!
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!

Toronto's only dismal defensively. They have quite a potent offense. Their goaltending is also suspect, but a portion of that may be the lack of defense in front of them.

Exactly,it was turning into soccer on ice. If I wanted to watch soccer, I would watch it. And when two trapping teams played each other, my God, it was as exciting as watching a chess match. Not that I dislike chess, I don't, but I never thought of it as a spectator sport.

I like the rules, but I wish to heck the refs would call a "hooking" penalty for hooking and not for touching the other guy's jersey, or "interference" when the other player is actually interfered with.

I bleed "blue" Wolfman, and before you became a "diehard Sens fan" I bet your were too...

Only thing in Ottawa is retirees and politicians...oh and too many lawyers....

Oh and JPnyc, just in case your not up on the stat's...fighting (well what they call fighting anyways) is up over last year, the problem is though they are all flyweights and because of the stupid "instigator" rule the heavyweights can't protect the teams star players, guys like Joe Sakic and Mat Sundin or even ***gag*** Alfredosen shouldn't be required to fight off the little pansies who are not afraid anymore because there is no cementhead (Semenko) to come to the rescue...

Get rid of the "instigator" penalty and all these goal mouth scrums would be over as well as the recent trend of running goaltenders, where is Hextall or Billy Smith when you need one...arrrgh I love Toronto and the best game they have played so far was against the Sens, so other then winning the Stanley Cup, I'm happy...hehehe and oh yeah I've been a fan since 64....so loyalty runs deep, and no bandwagon for me....wink wink Wolfman...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Well the instigator rule predates this last set of rule changes that I was referring to. I'm really talking about the changes since the last lockout. Calling restraining fouls, allowing two line passes, that really did help. The trapezoid rule involving the goalie, that I'm a little less enamored of, but clearly it was also aimed at New Jersey. In fact, I would go so far as to say all the new rules were aimed at New Jersey. They were killing the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well the instigator rule predates this last set of rule changes that I was referring to. I'm really talking about the changes since the last lockout. Calling restraining fouls, allowing two line passes, that really did help. The trapezoid rule involving the goalie, that I'm a little less enamored of, but clearly it was also aimed at New Jersey. In fact, I would go so far as to say all the new rules were aimed at New Jersey. They were killing the sport.
    Can't argue with you on that one as I agree, I hate NJ and Stevens...lol

But the trap helped them win a couple of cups, during those times, hopefully it will never go back to that, but what I find now is that the defence don't know how to hit anymore, or they are making bad hits (from behind) which is a double edged sword because sometimes the guy getting hit, doesn't prepare himself right and bang he's on the deck. I think the defence should be allowed to physically remove opponents from in front of the goalie, if I were playing and I was a goalie, there would be a lot of broken ankles in the league, because the refs no longer protect the goalies and the defence can't clear the front of the net, how many goals have you seen this season where the puck and the goalie were pushed into the net?

I like what's happening, but I don't want my game turning into what the Europeans used to play, all prima donnas, diving here and there and too much stick work, they are the experts at cutting up opponents with the stick work...lots of goals are nice and very "American", but too me a well played hockey game that ends at 0-0 is still a good hockey game, I hate the shootout and I hate the overtime, ties have a place, if not then make the wins more valuable say 3 points for a win and a single point for a tie, that will change the way teams play..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by dalek
    I bleed "blue" Wolfman, and before you became a "diehard Sens fan" I bet your were too...

....so loyalty runs deep, and no bandwagon for me....wink wink Wolfman...
    First off, the Wolfman was born and raised in a little town called Winnipeg. You wan't to talk Loyality, I was a Jets fan right until the end (WHITE NOISE ALL THE WAY!). Ironically enough, I moved away from WInnipeg to Ottawa the year the Senators joined the NHL. So I had two choices. Start cheering for a startup team that would probably suck for the first couple of years....or cheer to a crappy team to the south of me that would suck eternally. I choose the Sens

.....so no bandwagon for me either!
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!