Thread: What program? Drive C:\

What program? Drive C:\

I have to make this quick because I am getting ready for work, but I just got an email from my sister, seems she is having a problem opening her local c:\ drive through My Computer in MSXP Home SP2 ... it says "What program do you want to open this with?" ... I asked her a few questions, but have not received a reply. Anyone run across this before? I googled it, and anyone else that had thought it was a virus, malware, etc. any other thoughts? I will post more info as I get it... sorry for the rushed post. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions. It is much appreciated.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi westin,

I don't quite follow, do you mean that she cannot open the whole of her C:\ drive, or she gets into it and cannot open certain files?

If it is the whole of the drive then it sounds as if Windows Explorer is borked. What happens if she starts Windows Explorer and goes into her C:\ drive that way?

If it is just files then it sounds as if the file associations have become corrupted.

Yes I have seen the message many times, usually with new imported file types.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, does the same thing happen if she boots into safe mode?
    Last edited by nihil; December 5th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

It is when she tries to open the local c:\ as a whole. as soon as she double clicks on the icon for c:\, she gets that message. I haven't heard back from her yet as far as the specifics, she is in boston, and I am in atlanta ... I will let you know as soon as I find out. She said it just started happening.

Thanks for the reply.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Is she trying to maybe click a desktop shortcut instead of going through My Computer? Maybe the shortcut lost its target or had the extension changed? I've seen users do some weird things without even realizing it.

OK westin, if it is the whole drive that doesn't sound too good.

1. Try a right click on C:\ then select "explore" from the menu.
    2. Try opening Windows Explorer first, then try to open the C:\ drive.
    3. Does she have a restore point to go back to?
    4. Probably won't do anything, but running the system files check (sfc /scanow) might be worth a try.
    5. What has she been doing? If she has run one of those "registry cleaners" that could be the problem...........did she do a backup first?
    6. Go into "my computer" "folder options" and scan down until you come to "drive", select it, then "advanced" then click the "set default" radio button and "apply"
    7.TweakUI has a "repair associations" option you might try:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

OK, proper order : 1, 2, 6, 4, 7..............3 & 5 are questions.

clear as mud nihil ... Thanks alot for the tips guys...

A guy here at work found this link for me... it sounds like the issue she is experiencing.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_you_d...y_double_click

any thoughts?

-HST

Well if that is the case, she certainly has some bigger issues, the virus is a year old!

It really should have been detected by an interactive scanner that has been kept up to date.

Also, it makes Registry entries

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities.php

Get "Process Guard" and "RegistryProt"

It spreads through removable drives so she must assume that any thumb drives that she has are also infected. Personally I wouldn't trust any other removable media created around the time either.

Check out this thread it may be some help. http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=274646

Another place to look is folder options-->File types then select drive and click advanced.
    Look at what is in the actions box, the cause may be there.
    If you find the problem there you can go to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell and delete the offending registry key.
    Last edited by MadBeaver; December 5th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
    Mad Beaver

WIN+R and input "services.msc" , stop and disable the "Shell Hardware Detection" service .
    restart your windows .