Thread: How much is your blog worth?

Banned

How much is your blog worth?

Dale Carlson of the Business Opportunities Weblog put together this little app that calculates your blog's "worth." It uses Technorati's API, so use at your own discretion

http://www.business-opportunities.bi...ur-blog-worth/

HTRegz's blog is worth more than $37k !

Those things are worthless...has microsoft.com worth over 2 billion...internet.com and jupitermedia.com worth nothing ( $0 )...antionline.com worth $55,000...

of course you could argue they're not blogs...but it doesn't differentiate between websites and blogs...it is based solely upon links...link value...

on one hand it'll say cnet.com is worth $15,545,737.98...and on the other hand earthweb.com is worth $0

so...

according to it you can buy the whole jupitermedia network for about $55,000

Even if it was accurate...which it isn't...you could have a blog or website worth $x and that's about as impressive as a stamp collection worth $x...because it's only really worth $x if someone is willing to pay it.

I think tomorrow I'll shoot down to www.sony.com ( Your blog, www.sony.com, is worth $0.00 ) and offer then $1 and tell them Dane Carlson says that's all they're worth...

talk about great deals.

Of course if you eliminate the www and just have the http then you sometimes get a different result...

eg. Your blog, sony.com/, is worth $749,144.58

but then...sorry guys...

Your blog, jupitermedia.com/, is worth $0.00 ( you're still not worth anything )

maybe we should try with both the www and http...

Your blog, jupitermedia.com/, is worth $0.00

seems like Dane Carlson just doesn't like ya.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; December 9th, 2007 at 09:49 AM.

Banned
    I guess my double caveat wasn't enough for you, Egaladeist, and neither were the site's explanations... Captain Obvious

Actually I did catch your
    use at your own discretion
    I just wanted to clarify how utterly useless that thing is...

stuff like that on the net reminds me of P.T. Barnum and the infamous ' This way to the Egress ' ...tricking people to think there's another exhibit when it was really an exit door to move one crowd out while he shuffled another one in.

Because there is no ' warning ' obvious on that page you link to...nothing to indicate how inaccurate it is...
    How Much Is Your Blog Worth?

Inspired by Tristan Louis's research into the value of each link to Weblogs Inc, I've created this little applet using Technorati's API which computes and displays your blog's worth using the same link to dollar ratio as the AOL-Weblogs Inc deal.
    nothing to indicate it's a toy to goof with...

and that's all it is...a distraction...P.T. Barnum would be proud
    Last edited by Egaladeist; December 10th, 2007 at 04:42 AM.

Banned
    It sure seems to have distracted you

You didn't catch my other caveat, then?

I must've missed that one...unless of course you're referring to ;

HTRegz's blog is worth more than $37k !

come on lets play nice... yes it is inaccurate, but still fun to play with, so your both right... Ego's repaired =)

Yes, "for amusement value only" as you should realise from the great "dotcom" collapse and the billions that major corporates had to write off.

The problem in valuing something like a blog is that it is purely speculative as the thing is intangible, as in: no assets, no liabilities and no turnover in conventional accounting concepts.

If it fits in with someone's business plan they will pay for it, if it doesn't, they won't.

And remember, these are just "blogs" so they only assets are the people who run them and keep them going. They are not communities like myspace etc. which have an existence independent of their creators.

I would have thought that in the case of a blog, its greatest asset would be its name.