Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hackers will always remain way ahead of the law"

"Hackers will always remain way ahead of the law"

http://www.gunslot.com/blog/why-hack...-way-ahead-law

Hehe, I thought this was interesting and worth posting here.

(hey, btw, to some of you old-timers and the new folks who I've never met )

These are not "hackers" they are cybercriminals. Most of them have no real computer knowledge, they just use tools and the internet to perpetrate fraud.

OK, the people who write the tools know what they are doing, but from recent arrests and convictions they do not seem to be the people who actually use them.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    These are not "hackers" they are cybercriminals. Most of them have no real computer knowledge, they just use tools and the internet to perpetrate fraud.

OK, the people who write the tools know what they are doing, but from recent arrests and convictions they do not seem to be the people who actually use them.
    Exactly. That's why I posted the article here: to see you guys' response to the use of that word, haha. It's so funny what even the Internetmedia does to Internet culture these days.

Everyone has computers. So everyone has done something neat with a computer at some point. But people who feel the need to "be something" in return should automaticly be poked fun at in my book.

I have to be honest here, if I where a cop of any sort.. I wouldn't care much for anyone's online quarrels either.

Internet culture these days
    Hah! If you want to find culture you should rummage through someone's garbage bags.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Dumpster diving!!! One of my former favorite activities.

As an adult I still like to pick at the dump, the metal bins and the construction debris landfills have always been rich with reusable materials. They get a little annoyed when my truck weighs out more than coming in!!!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

just another thing governments everywhere aren't doing... (not just the united states)

As for these people not being "hackers" I would disagree not because they are by definition "hackers" but because I don't believe that there is a distinct definition for hacker. I mean to people who know what they are talking about, their definition is one thing, but for the ill informed these morons are "hackers"

to each his own.

I believe what we are seeing here is another crackdown, similiar to what happened in the early 90's. What is at stake here is our very online freedom. This one however is much more subtle.

Script kiddies are not a problem, and they never really have been. Script kiddies simply use what has already been used before, and if more users were responsible and even faintly educated their tools would be obsolete.

I strongly believe all of the latest media is tied directly into getting the public to the point where future regulation is considered acceptable.

Thanks for bringing this up Jehnx, and just to tie this into a discussion we were having on another site you should all take a look at HR 1955 called the "Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007". http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1955:

I'm not saying this news article specifically has anything to do with anything, but I do believe it is part of the 'wave' that is rising as the government is trying to get more legislation through.

I know I didn't articulate this properly at all, but we must all keep ourselves from becoming too naive and falling for this security complex which the US is so famous for!

If they were seriously wanted to help make the digital world more secure, the government should support Open Source and hold Microsoft accountable horrible product development and pushing their vulnerabilities onto their millions of trusting users/customers.

-sp0nge
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?

Of course most of this these days is organized crime such as the Russian mafia. I think one of the big changes has been the government sanctioning of this in Russia and China.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

I strongly believe all of the latest media is tied directly into getting the public to the point where future regulation is considered acceptable.
    That is paranoid. The issue here is simple fraud using a modern medium. Fraud has been a crime for hundreds of years and has quite adequate legislation and penalties.

I do believe it is part of the 'wave' that is rising as the government is trying to get more legislation through.
    What legislation? There already is adequate legislation, the problem is with enforcing it.

Please do not confuse national security with what is going on here. These people are common criminals with no politics or ideologies. OK there may be some overlap in funding political extremists but the bulk of the activity is common fraud.

Of course most of this these days is organized crime such as the Russian mafia.
    Actually it is rather worse than that from what I have seen. Sure, the major players are there, but the new technology seems to have lowered the entry level somewhat. There are some quite small scale operations being reported as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Actually it is rather worse than that from what I have seen. Sure, the major players are there, but the new technology seems to have lowered the entry level somewhat. There are some quite small scale operations being reported as well.
    I agree, as computers and similar technology becomes more common place, the learning curve disappears and your common pick pocket will now be stealing identities via the net rather than picking someones pocket. Previously organized crime saw this as a big money maker so they invested in getting the tools and skills to do it (like all businesses do) but I think we will begin to see an even greater migration to random previously non-criminal types being busted for it as time goes one.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com