Thread: Some quick things to verify

Banned

Some quick things to verify

Hi!

I have some things I'd like to see verified. I have a customer tomorrow that's having some problems with "updating Norton because it's asking me for my Administrator password and I don't have any" - that's as much info I could get...

So, I'm assuming that either he's using a limited account and forgot his Administrator password, or he's using an admin account (not Administrator) but for some reason Norton needs the actual Administrator account's credentials (and I'm leaning towards the first option) or. I just did some experimenting, and I found that Windows doesn't like it if you try to blank or change the Administrator password with Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (it seems to corrupt the entire account), so I'm not going to mess with that. If it turns out that he's using an admin account (not Administrator) or has one, I could just change the Administrator password through that account; if, though, he only has access to a limited account, what's my best option?

I'd agree with you Negative on the first possibility.

Most likely they have an adminstrator account, and Norton won't update due to that.

If all else fails, uninstall then re-install
    =

have you taken a looksie while in Safe Mode.?

What about taking the drive out of the computer mounting it in another as slave and temp take ownership of the drive's files folders and do it that way?

Banned
    Thanks, both! I haven't actually been there yet - just wanted to check some things before I go there

The corporate edition of SAV requires an Administrative password that is controlled bu the SAV admin console in order to remove the software.

We first ran into this when we passed out free copies of the software to our employees that needed AV protection at home. In the beginning this was a stellar service we provided our clients, that is until they left the company and needed to have the software removed from their devices. The SAV admins did not realize that the installations required a password, nor did they realize the installation files given out had the same password as the corporate owned devices.

I would doubt that NAV would have the same requirement, but I could be wrong.