Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Sp1 updates

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Vista Sp1 updates

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Reading the updates - people must have been mad to use Vista before SP1
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Custom User
    One of my friends has Vista on his laptop. He had some apps that he couldn't uninstall so he downloaded some programs to get rid of them (one of them was CCleaner). It all seemed to work fine until he tried to install SP1. Apparently you shouldn't use registry cleaners with Vista because for whatever reason he just couldn't update. Ended up just wiping his computer and starting from scratch. It was just lucky that he keeps most of his stuff on an external hard drive and doesn't have tons of programs installed.

On the plus side, he was having problems with ATI Catalyst Control Center (it just wouldn't work) before, and now with a clean install it seems to work.

Anyone know why registry cleaners and Vista don't seem to mix (the actual reason rather than just that they were designed for XP)?

ac

Improves certain problem scenarios where a driver goes to sleep
    Oooh! Sign me up for that one!

any one tried vista sp1 rc yet? I've dl'd from microsoft, and will probably install tonight to see what I can see. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this yet.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cross
    any one tried vista sp1 rc yet? I've dl'd from microsoft, and will probably install tonight to see what I can see. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this yet.
    When you have installed it, check the stability and please let us know
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmm id like to see how fast it is after and they are fixing the OEM bug haha

overall there seems to be a slight preformence increase.

i have noticed since sp1 the following issues, but havent looked into them, Ill post more info when i get it

1. ATI Display drivers (on an HD3850) 'recovering from a serious error' when returning to the destop from being idle after an extended period of time, and having the display time out.

2. Recycle bin icon on desktop looses ability to empty, allthough it can be emptied via the file explorer.

3. Sometimes the sound card (XFi- somethin , again ill give more details later) begins to sound 'tinny'

4. enabeling/disabeling 2nd monitor on dual head radeon-hd3850 Works intermitendly, it seems the computer confuses what monitor driver goes with what monitor.

5. Sometimes i loose the ability to click on a user on the welcome screen to log in, it alows me to select the users image, and you can see that its selected, but it just doesent work, im forced to hit enter on the keybord.

I have a list of problems written down at work ,I wil lshare them with you when i get them.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Haven't had time to install and play yet, had my wisdom teeth pulled and it was a pretty messy and painfull experience. Will post info here as I have it, hopefully some others will do the same.

Thanks for the reply SarinMage, appriciate your findings.

Banned
    I don't have any problem with the recycle bin icon on the desktop, SarinMage (on Home Premium). The only (major, if you ask me) problem I had with SP1 is described here.

any one tried any benchmarking yet on sp1 compared to xpsp2? That is what I am very interested in seeing myself.