Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptops : sending emails inside/outside the company grounds

you enter an A record with the name of mail for the domain of mycompany.com with the ip of 1.2.3.4

I am guessing since i am a unix person, that an A record is a host
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevoke
    Opus : I looked into that but I know zip about DNS. Should I add a CNAME, a HOST, an ALIAS, .... I get confused by the Windows interface, which makes things worse than just not knowing
    How would I do that? Say my external name is mail.mycompany.com and my internal IP is 1.2.3.4
    You just need to add a zone in your DNS server for your public domain name. Then you create an A record in your DNS zone for the server's hostname. In your example above, you would create a Primary zone for 'mycompany.com' and you would put an A record in that zone with the hostname 'mail'. If you go this route, you will need to make A records for all other external addresses as well since all DNS requests for that zone will be checked against your new zone. So for instance, you would need an A record for 'www'.

I was assuming they already had a zone internally to get to their outside resourses, which would be typical since they would need to access them to begin with. Not arguing, just not wanting to confuse him since he has professed he knows nothing about windows DNS.
    Last edited by Opus00; January 9th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus00
    I was assuming they already had a zone internally to get to their outside resourses, which would be typical since they would need to access them to begin with. Not arguing, just not wanting to confuse him since he has professed he knows nothing about DNS.
    They might, but a lot of smaller shops just use the DNS service provided from their registrar for all external resources.

Okey-Dokey.
    We do not have a zone for external addresses -- Forward/Reverse at all.

So, what is needed is to populate that zone with external resources? Does that mean, one A record per website, or can I get away with something more generic... ? And if so, what else is needed?
    You guys may be better off sending me to a DNS FAQ/Howto, although I do appreciate answers tailored to my brand of ignorance
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Okey-Dokey.
    We do not have a zone for external addresses -- Forward/Reverse at all.

So, what is needed is to populate that zone with external resources? Does that mean, one A record per website, or can I get away with something more generic... ? And if so, what else is needed?
    You guys may be better off sending me to a DNS FAQ/Howto, although I do appreciate answers tailored to my brand of ignorance
    You will need one A record for for each address that ends with your company's domain. If you had webmail.company.com, ftp.company.com, www.comapny.com, intranet.company.com; you would create a zone called company.com and add the following A records to it:

webmail
    ftp
    intranet

It is really not as complicated as it sounds. This looks like a decent tutorial:
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...s/DNS_Home.htm

We use OWA here, and no one has ever complained about it. Check it out as MLF suggested, its a great feature.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Ah, but we don't use Exchange

Also, NeuTron, we don't host our own DNS, someone on the outside does - we just host our internal DNS.. Is that OK?

Ah, but we don't use Exchange

Also, NeuTron, we don't host our own DNS, someone on the outside does - we just host our internal DNS.. Is that OK?
    Yup Trevoke,
    Thats what I assumed and so my instructions are for that scenario. Essentially, you will now be hosting DNS for your external hosts but only for the people in your network. This will give you the ability to map them properly, which was your problem to begin with. Good Luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Okay.. Before I do this, what do you mean by 'intranet' ? We don't have any internal machines with the same domain name as our outside domain name, if that's what you mean.