Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rose Trellis

The Rose Trellis

For you non-arborealists (I thought I shot all of them, but there might be a few left?)

A "trellis" is a structure to support climbing plants............. frequently made of wood.

I have just now finished building such a device, using nothing more than my trusty Dremel, a cross-head screwdriver, and a 4lb lump hammer and my geologist's hammer.

Not bad huh?.............. I used computer tools other than the two hammers....... I don't normally get that frustrated

The lump hammer was to drive the steel supports into the ground, and the geologist's hammer for the annular ring nails.............

The structure is about 8 feet high and 24 feet long........ and I am claiming an AO record for the use of a Dremel and a #2 crosshead screwdriver on a major construction project.

no photographs?

Nope,

It is quite dim and 4c where I am............... I have to do a rose arch over the pedestrian entrance tomorrow..........

I wanted 15mm x 45mm but could only buy 1" x 2"............ and the best they could do was 5 metres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I can buy Imperial in dimensions, but not in length?

But we want to see it! Is the US the only country still using feet and inches?

Well...the only Countries left not using the Metric System besides the US are Liberia ( formed by the US )...and Burma...according to the latest documentation of the USMA { US Metric Association )

and those two may have converted since...because the documentation is a few years old.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; January 12th, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

I don't anticipate us changing over anytime soon.

JPnyc,

I think that we could make some serious money here?

About 80% of the UK building stock was built to Imperial measurements........ if you did it big, it would be worthwhile bringing stuff from the USA? there is one hell of a waste using metric supplies

£$£$£$£$£$£$

EDIT:

Photographs to follow when light/weather conditions permit........ hopefully early Sunday morning?
    Last edited by nihil; January 12th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    I don't anticipate us changing over anytime soon.
    According to the USMA you already are starting the changes...just slower than others did...seeing as how most products are made overseas, including auto parts, it just made sense to convert over...

if you don't convert then you'll isolate yourselves...eventually you'll have no choice but to convert...metric is the world standard.

I hated having to learn metric...I was brought up on the standard...I'd rather buy my milk in quarts than liters...but...

you either move ahead or you fall behind...and if the US doesn't change well...every great nation empire has to fall sometime...the impact of not changing is going to have a disastrous effect on the US economy.

Oh yeah, they have been slowly converting the United States over to metric for some time now. I remember in school, we had a whole week cut out for just metric measurements (science, math, etc...), it is happening whether we like it or not =)

Can't wait to see the trellis!

I never thought of that nih. I sense the spore of opportunity here. They may change us over by force, EG, but that's what it will take. In fact when you buy tools here, like socket wrenches for example, it will include both sizes, metric and imperial. It's been that way for a long time already.