Anyone had any fun with SP1 yet? I installed it about two weeks ago; right after I did that, I got the "Windows needs to be activated" window popping up on my desktop (strange, as I activated my copy a year ago). I tried to have it activate my copy multiple times, but it would just there and do nothing. This morning, I reboot my computer, and the whole thing is locked down - only option is to activate. I try the Internet activation - denied. I call the automated system - denied. We verify the numbers multiple times, I talk to a supervisor - denied. Finally got someone helpful on the line at the technical department, telling me that somehow, in some cases, SP1 manages to change the activation ID of Windows (?!?), so the confirmation ID does not match anymore...

If you're in the same case, here's how to liberate Windows from being taken hostage by faulty activation crap (for a couple of days at least, which is definitely better than being totally locked out). At the confirmation screen, start Windows in limited mode. This will do nothing but open Internet Explorer and take you to a site where you can purchase a license (yeah right). You'll need to get to a command prompt (as Administrator - In IE, select File --> Open, then browse to C:\Windows\System32, and start cmd.exe as Administrator. In the command prompt, type "slmgr - rearm", and you'll get a couple days' respite. This command actually resets the licensing status of your machine, and after that calling in with the ID should work...

Might save someone a whole bunch of heart attacks!