Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Software for Windows Vista

hi everybody..

does anyone know what kind of antivirus should i use for VISTA?i have nod32 but it doesnt seem so good...
    thank you

I moved your post to a new thread so you don't take over that one with your question, as it's general AO law that if you have a question, you ask it, in a thread you make, not as a post in one that isn't related.

Second; Doesn't Microsoft have an AV product now? I'm assuming they do by now as they were talking about it a long time ago, and it's probably a good idea to just use OneCare or whatever they called that since well, it's built by the OS maker, which would mean it should work fine.

Banned
    I use Trend Micro PC-cillin.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Doesn't Microsoft have an AV product now? I'm assuming they do by now as they were talking about it a long time ago, and it's probably a good idea to just use OneCare or whatever they called that since well, it's built by the OS maker, which would mean it should work fine.
    Hah! My sarcasm meter picked that one up immediately.

As to the original question... as a Vista Ultimate (32 bit) user, I still run ZoneAlarm ISS. Hasn't failed me yet.

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; January 31st, 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: incorrect
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Oddly enough, I wasn't being super sarcastic, I really was recommending that. I mean if the one they used wasn't working right because of Vista alone than one Microsoft makes should as they also made Vista.

That was my reason anyway, if third party didn't work then go to whoever made the OS and see if they have something, that way you'll know for sure that it'll be compatible and work most likely.

If all else fails there is a great AV package set I use here:

http://www.freebsd.org
    and
    http://www.slackware.com
    and
    http://www.opensuse.org

Hasn't failed me yet, 4 years and 0 virii hittin' my boxes.

Of course, that is most likely NOT what they had in mind, which is why I didn't bring it up the first time around

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I'm currently working for

www.pandasecurity.com

We have a huge virus databse, bigger than the likes of symantec. There is a one month promotional on the three retail products. Give it a bash.

However go with AVG if you dislike it.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Oddly enough, I wasn't being super sarcastic, I really was recommending that. I mean if the one they used wasn't working right because of Vista alone than one Microsoft makes should as they also made Vista.
    Gotcha. I still don't trust Windows Defender or the Windows Firewall. I like Vista overall, but I like my security left up to me...hence my endorsement of ZoneAlarm. May be paranoia on my part...

O

-Occam's Razor

I understand, I just haven't used Vista at all so far so I wasn't sure exactly what to recommend, and I usually don't like just posting to say I moved a thread if I have at least an idea of what the person is looking for.

I used Zone Alarm back in.. I think 2003 or so, didn't have any problems with it either, so if that works good on Vista it's an obvious option as well.

Panda I haven't really used much so I can't say anything about that either, I only have two Windows partitions, and that is really not much compared to the 7 desktops, two laptops, and 11 hard drives total heh, so I pop AVG on as it's easy to download, install, doesn't charge and works good enough considering I don't check email much in Windows, rarely web surf and only really boot Windows up to play Doom, Quake and UT lol.

I understand, I just haven't used Vista at all so far so I wasn't sure exactly what to recommend, and I usually don't like just posting to say I moved a thread if I have at least an idea of what the person is looking for.

I used Zone Alarm back in.. I think 2003 or so, didn't have any problems with it either, so if that works good on Vista it's an obvious option as well.

Panda I haven't really used much so I can't say anything about that either, I only have two Windows partitions, and that is really not much compared to the 7 desktops, two laptops, and 11 hard drives total heh, so I pop AVG on as it's easy to download, install, doesn't charge and works good enough considering I don't check email much in Windows, rarely web surf and only really boot Windows up to play Doom, Quake and UT lol.
    I get the feeling that most users use mail readers (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) I don't. I surf to my mail directly (gmail). Could that be a source of the fear of virii and other such malware? (Kind of off-topic, but not really)

O

-Occam's Razor

Avast works also. (www.avast.com) Although I'm with Gore on the whole *nix thing. No spyware or virus can get in over here. (Except on my work laptop, ugh)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson