Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

well gee golly thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    okay, so in an attempt to distill this down as much as possible, the basic complaints are:
    1. No new tutorials
    2. Some issues with moderation
    3. The topics being posted are non-technical or rudimentary in nature

Feel free to continue that list with anything I missed. The lack of new tutorials is really out of my hands.

Issues with moderation are very definitely my ballpark and I will address any issues that occur.
    Well the tutorials are probably the biggest problem. IMO it's not the lack of people wanting to write a tutorial, but the underlying fear of reprisal.

Reprisal probably isn't the word I'm looking for - anyway. Say I write a tutorial on how to use nMap to perform certain tasks. Then I follow that with a step by step on how to use that information. For kicks and giggles, my example scan against Microsoft dot com revels that there is a hugh FTP server running and (ok its a reach) there is a telnet daemon running on port - I don't know 848659. Then I explain how to connect to that server.

I will be negged for hacking, grennied for hacking and many reasons will be offered as to why my post is not appropriate. Pile that on top of the thousands of request via PM and other wise asking how to launch telnet on a local machine and "What does nMap stand for"?

What will not be posted is alternate alternatives for connecting. Also, any n00b that asks "how do I prevent someone from connecting to me" will be flamed to the ends of the Internet. In short nothing productive will come from posting new tutorials, because there is no constant moderation. Depends who's on line and there level of experience - knowledge.

Sometimes it's easier to post <IFRAME SRC="javascript:alert('XSS');"></IFRAME> at www dot nasa dot gov then it is to yell "Another idiot programmer"

More thoughts later.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Well that's reputations abuse, and for that kind of thing you come to me. Frankly, I would like to see reputations done away with here (and everywhere else). In my opinion it's childish meaningless nonsense. You don't have to spend much time on a forum before you realize who knows what they're on about, and who doesn't. Some silly artificial rating system shouldn't be necessary. Maybe it's time for another poll to see what the user ship thinks of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias360
    well gee golly thanks!!
    LOL, I was serious! I'm going to try and push things into some type of action. Unfortunately not everything is up to me, but I'm going to do what I can do

Tutorials are always touchy. If someone writes one and it sucks or isn't correct they get their heads bitten off, and a bunch of mine were used almost exactly as I intended... Bait. I can do it again easily, I haven't done one in a while, and I DID install Solaris for my first time a few weeks ago, so I could write one up for that. And FreeBSD's installer changed a wee bit since my last one for that, so again I could do that one as well.

And I could do some dual booting on both since I had Solaris and FreeBSD dual booting with Windows to see how. I can write some more, it's not really some huge undertaking. It's a start at least.

Maybe it's time for another poll to see what the user ship thinks of that idea.
    made my points on that week after I joined...

In my opinion it's childish meaningless nonsense
    couldn't agree more...

Thing is Eg, no matter what changes we make, we're going to piss somebody off. I've been managing forums long enough to know that much. I do think it's time to put the question again, and I will right now.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Funny, we're always glad over at the Taz to receive any new tut in any way, shape, or form. Tut threads there don't degenerate into flame wars, regardless of the topic, and are usually expanded upon by both the author and our other members as softwares change, or if methodologies differ. ONE single tutorial written over a year ago has generated an UnGodly amount of responses, asking everything from 'will this work with this hardware' to clarification on the 'how to' process in hardware specific instances. The methods used have been refined to a point where a kindergartener could comprehend it now, and updates come whenever the software changes.

Amazing what a user-run forum can do eh? Uncannily enough, there are no ap's, rep points, or anything that can be assigned to any poster - if someone posts ignorant fluff, his info is quickly corrected by the other members and that user learns.

Incidentally, if the specific tut I'm talking about were posted here, it would've been deleted and the user banned. It involves cracking. Since that user is known to operate on both forums, he'll remain nameless here, and we're bloody glad to have his instruction there.

Now do I support such activities by allowing them to exist and remain in a forum I moderate? Not truly, but as previously stated in this thread I learn the methods of those who would crack my own network, and by doing so strengthen it against that style of attack. Security is a double-edged sword at best, and learning about it comes in many, many forms. To get cliche about it, "Know your enemy."

Nuff said.
    |ce
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

ok nevermind, i guess i posted that too late. hey gore, delete that one above^^ lol...

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias360
    ok so then was that last sentance an informal poll to see if we require an actual poll? lol...
    Come on man, the signature isn't going to help anything. It just feeds the flames. Please lose it. Thank you