Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, add in the user suggestion that all current moderators be reviewed. You've got a few bad apples in the bushel basket at least in the opinion of other members. Don't be scared to dig back a ways, remember your core pretty much left you a couple years back...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Suggestion taken, but I have to also point out, moderating is a bitch! I know that better than anybody because I know it times 30. However, that said, I will be keeping a close eye here.

You have to remember almost all our moderators are volunteers, and volunteers shouldn't have to put up with crap, even from me. It's a tough gig and very difficult to maintain balance all the time.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Suggestion taken, but I have to also point out, moderating is a bitch!
    You forget that I hold that thankless title elsewhere, also as a volunteer. In fact, our very admins are all volunteers as well - One becomes curious when we'll start getting paid eh Dino? Egg? Foxx?

I keep in mind the very thing, that they are volunteers, when I remake the above suggestion - the plain and simple truth of it is that there are certain mods who have absolutely no business whatsoever holding that position, through not only their lack of technical skills, but also their lack of any semblance of people skills, and, of late, their blatant absenteeism and forum-trolling.

Ok, now back to thinking of constructive suggestions..and listening to my fridge chill that beer down a bit further...

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

and I'm going to look at all of those factors. But I have to point out, being a moderator here would be more demanding than being a moderator on your forum. You can allow a lot more stuff to go there. Doesn't anybody here work for a large corporation in some department that deals with the public occasionally ?

If you ever did, you know what I'm talking about. You simply cannot represent a corporation, to the public, the way you would a personally owned forum. If you think otherwise, you're mistaken. I've done both, ad nauseum, I know what the difference is.

If you're implying the the Mods represent JupMed...then with the current set up JupMed is ****ed......start looking for employment JP

// ****ing **** **** **** **** ****y word censors.

//Arrrgggghhh!

Last edited by Nokia; February 4th, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, maybe not back to the constructive stuff then. Let's pursue the 'public image' bit and 'corporate representation' bit further shall we? (btw you've entered MY specialty Business is a forte of mine and always has been.)

As of right now from JupMedia, I see corporate representation from the particular moderator in question reflecting quite poorly. Absenteeism, driving off members with crass comments and random thread closings just to name a few things kind of paint a bad picture don't they? EVEN though they are volunteers, they STILL reflect upon the company, for it was a company representative who hired them (albeit not you, SOMEONE did...).

Shall I continue?

After I left AO, I read from other former members who'd been: Sexually harassed by a (current) moderator who shall remain nameless, personally targetted by attacks by (current) moderators both using the (hopefully gone soon) ap system as well as in PM's and Threads, Full censorship by (current) moderators dictating that public posting of the moderator's angry PM's constituted banning of the member.

Wow, that's a hell of a corporate image there ain't it? How, as a corporate representative in supervisory position over these particular people, can you defend them?

BTW you'll have to dig up the former member who was sexually harassed. I'd much rather you hear it from HER (fingertips) mouth than mine. Heresay isn't evidence. Perhaps after she reads this particular post she'll come forward to you by PM.

I suppose I'm done digging up dirt here. The review is in order, and you accepted the suggestion to do so. Shall we drop that topic and move back to constructive things now? I much prefer it that way.
    Last edited by |3lack|ce; February 4th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

No, I'm aware of those things. I just have to deal with it within certain restrictions, because we're talking about volunteers. My way of dealing with it is preventing it from here on. History is written already. I can't change it now. I'm dealing with present/future. It would be wrong of me to act on things that happened before I was here, and before I set any kind of conduct guidelines. Let's say those offenses were "grandfathered in", for lack of a better term.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Be advised, one businessman to another, that they might be 'grandfathered in' by you, but they are not forgotten by your (now former) members. You probably won't regain them until said offenders are removed. I suppose now would be the time to bring in that old Marketing adage that reminds us that one happy customer will tell two friends, but one pissed off customer will tell a hundred.

Welcome to the mess you truly inherited...

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    and I'm going to look at all of those factors. But I have to point out, being a moderator here would be more demanding than being a moderator on your forum. You can allow a lot more stuff to go there. Doesn't anybody here work for a large corporation in some department that deals with the public occasionally ?

If you ever did, you know what I'm talking about. You simply cannot represent a corporation, to the public, the way you would a personally owned forum. If you think otherwise, you're mistaken. I've done both, ad nauseum, I know what the difference is.
    JP Your point of it's all how its presented is well taken an understood. I get it that no matter how blue in the face you become, how much you scream and yell. At the end of the day the suits have the final say.Since this thread is going to be a topic of (I hope more than one private conversation) then perhaps it would be best to pass on some of your paying customers requirements. It's only fair that if the membership would like more jupmedia resources and more of a say as to how thie forum is ran, than what can we, as members, do to help facilitate corporate goals?I'm not saying you guys should put up a fully functional WAN with failover border routers and mail/web servers for us to break into, but what about a SQL server and IIS? A honeypot to play with, perhaps a new IDS package we could try to out smart? As it has been said, there are still many professionals still lurking here.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Possibly true, but I've read enough of this forum to know the membership themselves were not all blameless and angelic in these conflicts. There are 2 sides to every conflict (at least 2), and generally it's human nature for both sides to completely blame the other, 100%. I, however, was not involved at all, so for that reason I feel I have a little better shot at objectivity.

I can't come in like a bull in a china shop and start axing mods because a portion of the former core membership is holding grudges. That would be like paying a blackmailer. It's a bad road to go down. I make a promise concerning behavior going forward. You can hold me responsible for what takes place from here on out.