Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

Soda, points are understood, but I'm not here to lie to anyone. It won't happen, that's the reality. We deal with the developer shortage all the time, and I can tell you flat out, it ain't changin'.

Nokia, the mod issue WAS addressed, just not the way some of you want. If there's been an issue SINCE I said what I said, no one's alerted me. We've already discussed this (you and I).

I'm happy you were in the service, Ice, but to quote someone else around here in this thread, "apples and oranges". And yes, she did the 48 sprint, but we were both involved for weeks prior, then I worked from 4:45am till 6am,, then worked a normal workday (for me) until midnight. Point is folks, it took about 60x the normal upgrade time and effort, capishe?

Eg, does that revenue or lack thereof affect the spending power of that $50? That's the stipend folks, if you don't want to write one, don't write one.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    $50 - can I get discount on this ?

The rand , dollar exchange is not to koshua
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Nokia, the mod issue WAS addressed, just not the way some of you want. If there's been an issue SINCE I said what I said, no one's alerted me. We've already discussed this (you and I).
    How was it adressesd? It seems exactly the same as it was three years ago...

I've alerted you by the 'report a post' button thats on every post......(I take it it does come to you?) Myself and others have alerted you in this thread three times and even provided links to the thread.......you have been alerted but apparently you don't want to do anything about it...it's the same old reply.

Here is the link again:
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=276765

Now you've been alerted.
    Last edited by Nokia; March 19th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.

I saw that. What was so terrible there? It was a discussion, a bit aggressive perhaps, but a discussion. I will speak to the crew about being a tad less aggressive in responses, but I would call that reply short of rude.

Folks here are apparently viewing each instance with several yrs worth of baggage trailing behind. Taken as an isolated occurrence, with no nod toward any kind of history, that's not much of anything. In fact, yours was the strongest response in there. I didn't see anyone else calling anyone "idiot boy" or anything along those lines.

Do you have a specific post or line in one that you object to most?

OK, I have delivered the alluded to msg to the crew.

Well if you think it is acceptablle for a 'representative of JupMed' to make posts like this:
    http://antionline.com/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=11 when the post that they are replying to makes perfectg sense and is a very valid post - to someone who understands the topic being duscussed....

Then you certainly have your answer as to why anyone with an ounce of technical knowldge finds other site to participate on.

I felt my post was as equally condensending as Nihil's posts.

That's really alll I have to say on the matter - as I know the reply will be the same as it always is from you.

Condescention is implied, which means it is open to misinterpretation. Calling someone "idiot boy" is not subject to interpretation. It's a slur.

I said they were aggressive posts, and I have spoken to the crew about the "tone" of replies. That's the appropriate response. The fact that there is a "lynch-mob" gunning for certain members of the crew, doesn't mean I have to throw open the jail and let them have at it.

Figures.

Way to keep your members.
    Last edited by Nokia; March 19th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Kwiep
    To hop a few pages back, regarding the tutorials. Personally I have a problem with the "must be unpublished" rule and the obscure "freelance agreement". I believe there was a discussion about a similar policy wich was applied when jupmed bought AO. IIRC alot of members had their tuts removed because of that, maybe that's something to think about. I don't think the meager $50 is a problem as people like nokia have shown to be quite willing to write educational texts, but ONLY if they know what will be done with it and if they aren't rstricted to what they do what it afterward.

Personally I have written quite some short articles about computer and information security detailing more on the electronics aspect of it. They have been published (in dutch!) in some random electronics-freak magazine over here. I only had to give them permission to print it, nothing more. I wouldn't mind translating some to english, but I have no incentive to post em on AO.

I'd rather post em on TAZ even as I dropped out of AO, as a community, years ago and I'd rather have the TAZ people like me.
    Double Dutch

neel,
    As a for-profit corporation, we have the requirement that the articles we purchased have not been published elsewhere, or they won't have much value here to our readers. Additionally, we have a requirement that we retain exclusive publication rights for a short period of time, again, because if the article is published elsewhere, it dilutes the value of said article for us. After that time period, the copyrights to the article are still retained by the original author--he or she can publish them anywhere they wish, or not. The freelance agreement we use is the same one we use for every single author who has ever written for any of the miriad of sites that we own. We're not singling out anyone here at AO--it's just a matter of fact policy that, until now, we haven't had many complaints against.

From what I know, TAZ is not a corporate owned site--they are not in it for profit, and the rules there are substantially different, and that is fine for them. If, however, they got bought out by a publicly traded corporation--I can assure you the rules would change there too.

That said, we're doing what we can, based on suggestions from the members here, to improve the site. So you can either participate and be a part of the solution, as they say, or you can just gripe and, well, NOT be a part of the solution. If you choose to publish at TAZ, no problem--we hope to see you here when you next return.