Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

Quote Originally Posted by |3lack|ce
    Ah, so you're saying you can clean the mess you arrived into simply by 'grandfathering in' (read as "Sweeping it under the rug and forgetting about it") then? Ummmm... c'mon.

There's some very serious allegations on your plate right now. Ignoring them won't make them disappear.

We've diverged entirely too far from the original, constructive topic though. Dino's given a couple of very very good suggestions I'd love to see addressed.
    I don't know yet that anyone did anything approaching the allegations you made. Care to link to any posts?

I didn't say no changes were going to take place on the mod staff. I said I can't hold him responsible for what happened before I told them what I told them. I don't know what rules, if any were in place at the time. I know this forum wasn't watched over closely by anybody from the company, I can tell you that much. From here on out serious misbehavior is not going to be tolerated by anybody, member or moderator.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Then it's mission accomplished. For evidence of past offenses, please start with the very thing that spawned this thread and work your way backwards. As to the sexual harassment bit, it was done entirely by PM's, and although I've seen copies of these pm's, I did not retain copies of them, nor will I divulge the victim in this, but I'm sure she's read the posts here and will respond accordingly to you via PM if she so desires.

I just said basically the same thing to another mod who pm'd me about this very issue. I'll tell you frankly that in my own personal terms, I'm only gunning for one mod's head, and he wasn't even the one that did the harassment - I dredged that up simply because in our dance of words I was forced to.

Here's a nice clue: Who closed the thread that spawned the "Reopen the thread dammit" post? I can't be more succinct than that now can I? This is the second time I've called for his head. For the first, you'll need to read Addicts from way back.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Well, back to the original topic for a moment:

I would suggest that we take a look at the site FAQ................... they are very much in need of updating? The same might be said of the "Top Links List"

Also, please get rid of the "IP Locator" or replace it with one that is actually updated. That database must be almost 5 years old by now?

And the "Security Events" link just seems to go to the default calendar?

I know that this might sound like nitpicking, but people are complaining about the content of the site when it doesn't even look professional............ and there is no excuse for that.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Cheers Nihil. Let's get back on the wish list. I hate digging into negativity and the horse we were beating is dead and rotting.

I'd list out what's gone before in these 13 pages but the list would take up an entire page unto itself at this point. I'm seriously up for the honeypot/firewall/pen testing/video feed from both sides of it though.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

okay cool, all those things will be looked at. Everything in this thread will be looked at. Might take more than one day, it's gotten pretty long. I'm utterly exhausted, myself.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Heh. I'm just gettin started - but I need to chill for a few and let the creativity flow a bit further. I'm really psyched up about that video feed thing - and I sincerely hope it flies. JP in truth, you could be starting up another youtube here if you play your cards right, one by geeks for geeks with all the technical data one could ever want, in full-fledged video format (Just please make it a lot better quality than the crap on youtube!)

[edit, a few minutes later]Here's a nifty one - but if I'm reinventing the wheel here please let me know, I've yet to see or hear anything of the sort in existence -

What if AntiOnline could take a more active role in the Security field? What if some of our enterprising coders could write a Spider of sorts that browse the web at random, looking for malware or malicious links, and create a database of them? We could call it the 'enemies list' or somesuch - then do our OWN anti malware/spyware software package. (unsure if that's how spybot or adaware get their info, but it seems like a nice 'fire and forget' method of doing it...)

What if we could develop new methods for finding and patching exploits - given proper 'day zero' methodology, it seems to me that this wouldn't be too difficult a task either. [/edit]
    Last edited by |3lack|ce; February 5th, 2008 at 12:12 AM.

JPnyc,

I would leave it open to the end of the week at least, possibly longer, particularly as our Middle and Far Eastern members are having internet problems?

It is a shame that the broken cables happened at this particular time?

Just a thought?

this isn't going to be a quick hit and run. This'll be an ongoing dialogue for a while.

Well JPnyc,

I am prepared to take a shot at the FAQ and the links and submit a draft proposal to the rest of the team.

Once we have that agreed just put it to the members for any questions or suggestions.

OK, I know, those two are in a bit of a mess right now, and they are easy wins, but we might as well get started?

thanks nih, that'll be a big help and as good a place to start as any.