Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I too, would like to see more tech content and options set into the site

and, as has been stated earlier in the thread, mods are volunteers, some of them here are paid, but the volunteer got their 'position' because they put in the hours on site,
    yet, once they achieve the 'position' they are no longer here
    and I have yet to see many threads where they actually join in and HELP

the sites top poster apart
    he has kept up his presence, some will have had issues with him, as he did / does have a hair trigger when it comes to a reaction, and there is no turning him

however, although 'my' forum is smaller, and a personal one, we utilise mods who actually appear to WANT to be a part of the forum, who get involved in threads, and behind the scenes too

we've made errors of judgement, and paid for it
    but we have actually now got a set of mods who act impartially within any disputes, give assistance where they can and it does seem to work [IMHO]

I realise that AO is a commercial enterprise first second ........right to the end, but we, as the end users should expect more from those elected to be our guides / guardians as it were
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

********** |ceWriterguy
    JP, I know you've probably called it a night and gone to the house by now, but unfortunately for all of us the Web never sleeps.

I give you the following post to display the PRECISE image your corporation has been given by the very mod posting it:

Found here: http://antionline.com/showthread.php...482#post935482

By: Spyder32
    Honestly, I really don't care.. like, seriously. Whether it's childish remarks made by users, whining and complaining about this site, etc.. I just flat out don't care. Doesn't affect my life one way or the other, I'm just here to lurk, moderate, and post when I feel the tickle to actually do so. So if it makes certain people feel better to "roast me" or question a decision of mine, go ahead.. spend your not precious time doing so, my time is precious. That's the last I'm going to comment on anything related to this manner.
    Taken in and unto itself it seems innocuous enough, but I tend to follow Foxy's way of thinking:

I was kinda hoping mods would actually be here posting, not 'lurking'
    you know, like HELPING
    weird place at times
    Uncanny thing that. Proof. Pops up in the strangest places.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

The scope of this site has been mentioned more than a few times in this thread. Sorry to jump in here a little late, but I thought you might find this interesting. I was looking through 'Steal This Computer Book', and found that it had this to say about antionline:

Antionline - This source for hacker news, virus source code, and trojan horse programs also offers various forums where security professionals can chat and exchange information.
    on another page:

To find other password-cracking programs visit... ... ...~antionline.com~ ... ... ...
    AO is viewed by many as a 'hacking site' ... this is not a bad thing. As long as we keep it professional, and don't post "follow this step by step to bring down [insert gov't or large corp]'s servers, I think people will realize the intention is to further security in our field.

just my 2 cents...

edit: yes I realize Steal this computer book isn't the most respected book in the industry, but it has sold a lot of copies, and does have some good information in it...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

If that's what you consider proof, we have a substantial chasm to bridge. What I see there is someone who has been maligned (either for legit reasons, or not), responding to the heat by letting it roll off his back. What do YOU see there? You're pointing to it like saying "LOOK! LOOK AT THIS!" like the guy just admitted to the Lindbergh kidnapping or something. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's maybe a 2.

I know what a mod's position is, but if I were being roasted like he (even if it is not wholly without some merit) is, on some forum I volunteer on, I would tell everyone something stronger than that, and quit.

He didn't say he didn't give a damn about the forum. If he really didn't, he'd resign, wouldn't he?

You have to make a case to me, systematically. So far, I've not seen a thing. In fact, you've pushed me farther in the direction that says I can't trust your definition of position abuse. You know how many times users have made me feel JUST like what he posted? Difference is, I'm not a volunteer.

I also have never abused my position, so in my case it would've been wholly unjustified.

Now, if he called you a F-in A-hole, or lashed out with some similar epithet, then I'd have to take action. This is somebody who sounds weary, to me.

WHo knows when he got that impression of the site? Could it not be when JP ran it alone?

JPnyc wrote:
    WHo knows when he got that impression of the site? Could it not be when JP ran it alone?
    copyright 2006 ... though it is the fourth edition... that is a valid point.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

********** |ceWriterguy
    Now, if he called you a F-in A-hole, or lashed out with some similar epithet, then I'd have to take action.
    Please stand by while we adjust your system to the correct settings. Proof will follow soon as those directly involved sign in.

And as for other incidents - random closing of threads? You've yet to address why this whole monster thread started in the first place. Should I truly post the link to HERE?: http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=276580

Or point back to the one he closed for no just reason whatsoever HERE:
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=276578

This is not the first occurrence of the closures. I did the first bit of research for you, it's up to you to dig further, I promise you'll find A TON.

Still waiting on that 'direct personal abuse' proof - please bear with me on that.
    Last edited by |3lack|ce; February 5th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Sigh so many threads to open. Cant follow them all

How does one become a moderator
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think that we are beginning to lose perspective here?

What actually happened was that someone played a practical joke and Spyder fell for it, at least in part.

As the impact had been lost I reopened the thread and moved it to technical humour so that everyone else could have a laugh.

dinowuff over-reacted with his complaint about the thread being closed, after all, that was the proof that the practical joke had worked? Me, I would just have taken the p1$$

That thread started to veer towards AO's future development, so negative closed it and invited him to start this thread, which he did, but with a much more focussed basis for such a discussion.

Seriously, so far there isn't anything you've shown me that would merit more than a word or two. Your evidence to this point has all the strength of Don Knotts.

I think what's going on here is that your dislike for this particular moderator has skewed your malfeasance threshhold. These aren't acts that you'd can a mod for. More deserving of something like what Nihil did. He opened and moved the thread with a little explanation.

It's not like he closed some clearly valuable thread. It was a prank/joke thread. I might've done that myself (or might not have).