Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff
    JP Your point of it's all how its presented is well taken an understood. I get it that no matter how blue in the face you become, how much you scream and yell. At the end of the day the suits have the final say.Since this thread is going to be a topic of (I hope more than one private conversation) then perhaps it would be best to pass on some of your paying customers requirements. It's only fair that if the membership would like more jupmedia resources and more of a say as to how thie forum is ran, than what can we, as members, do to help facilitate corporate goals?I'm not saying you guys should put up a fully functional WAN with failover border routers and mail/web servers for us to break into, but what about a SQL server and IIS? A honeypot to play with, perhaps a new IDS package we could try to out smart? As it has been said, there are still many professionals still lurking here.
    Yes, it will be the very sketchpad we work from while discussing. I, and intmon, will be posting things here, to keep a dialogue open. That's the only way we'll get some action. Also intmon and I have to put our shoulder pads on and get into the scrum, so to speak.

Poor JPONE You are correct. There are three sides to every story. His, Hers and the truthTWO Dude you are the administrator. Perhaps I need to write you a tutorial"can't come in like a bull in a china shop" LOL no more like a bastard with an UZI! But that's just me.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Yep, and confucious say "Admin who wield big ban stick, post to self".

********** |ceWriterguy
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Possibly true, but I've read enough of this forum to know the membership themselves were not all blameless and angelic in these conflicts. There are 2 sides to every conflict (at least 2), and generally it's human nature for both sides to completely blame the other, 100%. I, however, was not involved at all, so for that reason I feel I have a little better shot at objectivity.

I can't come in like a bull in a china shop and start axing mods because a portion of the former core membership is holding grudges. That would be like paying a blackmailer. It's a bad road to go down. I make a promise concerning behavior going forward. You can hold me responsible for what takes place from here on out.
    For posterity I quoted you on that.

Frankly, I don't see it as paying blackmailers - I see it in terms of a businessperson - you and I both know a sexual harasser gets axed as quickly as possible. You and I both know that bad corporate image is NEVER something to mess around with, most especially from volunteers.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, can be replaced. You expressed concern earlier for becoming known as a 'hacker site', and over potential lawsuits which might arise from said information (or was that nihil? I'm too lazy to scroll back and see) - would you rather AntiOnline become "Maxium abuse for those foolish enough to sign up?"

If a mod does it once, a mod will do it again. No amount of preaching or rules will change that. It is insane to believe that given the same situation a different result will occur.

Now, if you'd said "I can't give the Mods the sack just yet because I've no one to replace them and it'd overburden those who didn't get sacked," you would've been more viable - but in defending them, you're only furthering the destruction of this "Corporate Image" which is the holy of holies to any well-functioning business - Goodwill is everything and you bloody well know it. It is what keeps the cash flowing in from repeat business. More to the scope of what we're dealing in here, it is what keeps you a solid core-membership and valid content flow rather than fluff and the occasional troll which you've been contending with lately.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

You can't imagine why having somebody overseeing a situation might cause an alteration of behavior compared with nobody overseeing it? Come on man. Didn't your teacher ever leave the classroom for a while when you were in school?

I'm sorry that you're not able to understand or approve of my reasons for not acting on what transpired before I got here. However that's what I intend to do. If it's not acceptable to you, then it's not acceptable. Can't please everyone.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ah, but they *were* supervised. Blaming your predecessor isn't good policy either - excuses are like bungholes, everyone has 'em and much like your predecessor and the mods in question, they all stink. Telling me to 'deal with it' in nice words won't make me less quiet about it.

Try this little "Philosopher say" on for size:
    "It's not how you tell them it can't be done, it's finding a way to do it that wins you business."

[edit]Gee. There's that damn survey popup again. [/edit]

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

My job didn't exist before I took it. There was somebody doing portions of my job, mostly changes to the ad code and the HTML/CSS formatting, but not much else. I found that out the day I was interviewed.

No one was watching over the forums in the fashion that I do now, trust me. I work here.

Well, if the current mods are staying, then the reasons I (and others) left are obviously staying also, ergo I'm back off to where I came from.

cya

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ah, so you're saying you can clean the mess you arrived into simply by 'grandfathering in' (read as "Sweeping it under the rug and forgetting about it") then? Ummmm... c'mon.

There's some very serious allegations on your plate right now. Ignoring them won't make them disappear.

We've diverged entirely too far from the original, constructive topic though. Dino's given a couple of very very good suggestions I'd love to see addressed.

Be well.