Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

AO - Max security for a connected world

For those old and new, I would like to discuss what exactly we would like AO to be. And what we, currently, see AO as.

If I may, I would like to set the ground rules for this thread.

1:Can we PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, turn off the word filters?Swearing and references to using systems other than anticipated can be mentioned in a non abusive way.

2:Blank the planet (again with the filters) is really not an option. Even though the cable, phone and major ISP's are raping us by charging 900% more than their base costs is no longer a reason to get the services for free - or is it? (don't get me started on the RIAA - that's another thread)

3: I have a problem with a few moderators on this site. I will express my thoughts and perceptions about said moderators as the discussion permits. I will pay due attention to any response and continue any further discussion via PM unless other wise needed to keep this thread on topic. I request that everyone else do the same. Post it- read the reply - move on. Stay on topic.

4: This is NOT a flame war!
    It may be heated, but please, think before you post.Remember I am the original Bastard SysAdmin (sorry Gore) You may, at any time:

Turn fan on high
    point fan at me
    throw **** at fan

After all this is an ON LINE forum. (no such thing as online harassment - yet another topic)

5: (And last thank God) Shameless plugs. References to blogs, other forums to make a point is cool - don't go overboard. So with that said, here goes:

Security by definition has migrated from protecting ones self from the bad guys to protecting yourself from the lawyers. (Corporate world anyway).If you search AO by years, you will notice that AO has instructions from how to use sub-7 to how to write key loggers. How to prevent both.

As a seasoned administrator I know, in the end, disaster recovery is the most important aspect of any IT strategy. I also know that DR is mostly ignored by everyone.

Many current threads are about individual PC issues.

Do any of you care about the enterprise challenges?

Compliance issues. DNS-Snort rules? Active directory - LDAP configurations. ;How about how you get around a global policy that forces you to use a proxy at work/school?

Should we hold discussions on these topics?

Do we need moderators that are certified in the security field?

Should l337 speak be brought back from the dead?

A.O. is NOT jp's site anymore.Those philosophies are long gone.
    Should they return?

If yes, how? If no then what should be the replacement?

What was, what is and what shall be is the topic.

No one is safe, all opinions are welcome; however, remember when you post - arguing on the Internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still a retard!

DISCUSS
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

********** |ceWriterguy
    | for one would very much like to see the return of 'day zero' information, and how to catch and counteract malware that the standard tools do not.

| would also like to see methods on tightening down systems, scripting and coding for tighter data encryption, methods for determining if your network is being sniffed with what package and by whom, and assistance on writing said tools for one's self.

Gone are the days of the fishnets and general paranoia about hax0ring - one must learn the ways of the 'bad guys' in order to successfully defend one's own and be a 'good guy'. Why not have an open discussion about h4xx or cr4xx? As security people it teaches us the methods of those who would do such things, and hopefully develop methods to stop 'em dead in their tracks.

Ok, nuff said - you get the picture.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Can we PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, turn off the word filters?Swearing and references to using systems other than anticipated can be mentioned in a non abusive way
    SWIVE OFF!................... I do hope that you have seventh century Saxon?

Banned
    1:Can we PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, turn off the word filters? Swearing and references to using systems other than anticipated can be mentioned in a non abusive way.
    I highly doubt it prevents anyone from talking about computers in any way, shape, or form. Actually it makes things less annoying when they do.

People could just use real computer terminology instead of calling every single medial computer related task some type of "l33t h4x!". And frankly, I feel any other way would be below me.

The word filter was just supposed to be for laughs. If it's no longer funny we can lose 'em.

There is most definitely such a thing as online harassment.

Regarding main site content, that's out of my hands so intmon will have to respond to that.

It's kinda like the guy who tells a joke...tells the joke again...tells it again...and again...the first time it's funny...the second time it's funny...the third time it's mildly annoying...the fourth time it's:

time to get a new joke.

And to be perfectly blunt...there is the kind of joke where people laugh with you...and there's the kind of joke that people laugh at you.

Which kind of joke do you think this was.

Banned
    It's kinda like the guy who tells a joke...tells the joke again...tells it again...and again...the first time it's funny...the second time it's funny...the third time it's mildly annoying...the fourth time it's:
    time to get a new joke.
    I've heard that joke you're making about the joke a couple of times already. The first time I heard it, it was funny. The second, too. But now that you're telling it for the third time, it ain't funny anymore!

OK... let the "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know" games begin!

Heh, way to stay on topic, people...

I may not have been around as long as some of you, but I do see the same changes in direction that he points out, and right now, it seems as though this site has lost the focus it once had, and has been censored (through less obvious means) to the point of being just a...social site *cringe*.

It's getting to where everytime someone comes here asking about malware, one of the most common problems of today, you have a ton of responses that go through the whole 'adaware/hijackthis/spybot' routine. I don't know about you, but when I find new malware, I like to dig into the system and rip its guts out manually. It's good to know what reg keys these things access, what DLL's are loaded, if it binds into other processes, etc. Are we getting so lazy we are not encouraging this anymore?

Maybe lazy isn't the word. Jaded sounds more like it. With the huge inflow of the public to the internet, we are bombarded everyday with the same bullshit over and over. Who would've thought something so geeky would become so popular? Maybe we shouldn't have added all the flashing colors...

Never mind me, I'll go back to my beer now.

As a seasoned administrator I know, in the end, disaster recovery is the most important aspect of any IT strategy. I also know that DR is mostly ignored by everyone.
    I agree, and we recently started a new sub-forum for this topic

Basically, the site will reflect the content that is posted, as this is what the search engine spiders will index.

and right now, it seems as though this site has lost the focus it once had, and has been censored
    The World and the internet have changed. Five years ago, people were still writing malware "for the hell of it", today that is a very rare occurrence. The whole scene seems (to me) to have become commercial and criminalised?

The site is certainly not censored, other than for cuss words, racism and such, and I don't recall anything being ******* out recently?

It's getting to where everytime someone comes here asking about malware, one of the most common problems of today, you have a ton of responses that go through the whole 'adaware/hijackthis/spybot' routine.
    Actually, that is far less frequent than it used to be. I think that there are more security tools around, and people are more aware of them.

I don't know about you, but when I find new malware, I like to dig into the system and rip its guts out manually. It's good to know what reg keys these things access, what DLL's are loaded, if it binds into other processes, etc. Are we getting so lazy we are not encouraging this anymore?
    Maybe not so much lazy as impatient? people don't seem to be interested in the hows and whys.............they just "want rid of it"................ at least the people I deal with generally think that way.

I also suspect that we're drifting into a "disposable society" mentality? Back when a decent computer cost $4,500 people had more care and respect. Today they just go out and buy another one. I had a guy bring one in the other day............. he had bought a replacement, but all that was wrong with his old one was a $20 memory stick
    Last edited by nihil; February 3rd, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

I've said this before but it's worth reiterating. we are responsible for the content of the main site (specifically, our editors), but for the content of the forum, that's up to the forum members. As I've explained before, you can change the direction the forum goes in yourselves.

Whatever topics are posted are the ones search engines will index, and in turn that will bring more users interested in those topics. If they are rudimentary topics, then that is what will perpetuate on the forum. If they are more advanced topics, then more advanced topics will perpetuate.