Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

********** |ceWriterguy
    Still listening to that Jonathan Coulton vid and thinking of codemonkey stuff - so here goes:

You mentioned a realtime 'we watch um' on the honeypot.

You mentioned a firewall.

I mentioned the two and showed how it could potentially mean big buck$ for Jup and the winning coders...

Dino mentioned a streaming media feed. Here we go:

Live (and recorded, archived) video feed of what it looks like from the honeypot side when you're attacked. If pen testers are willing, live (and or recorded) feed from their boxes showing what they did and how, when, all across that wonderful video feed. Now THAT's Geekentertainment!

In the realm of video feeds - live broadcast videos of 'how to' tuts, on the fly, you pick the tut and watch the vid. Video blogs of techies and how they handle on the fly problems too - everything from the mundane old ram swap all the way up to a full on system build, network configuration, printer configurations, remote system server accessing, data encryption, the works, plus our pen-test and honeypot vids... Wow. Just Wow. I'm happy in my pants all of a sudden.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Uh JP you might want to take a look at the meta tags...

<meta name="keywords" content="AO - Max security for a connected world, antionline computer security forum community hack hacker Internet online web network wifi wireless microsoft windows linux unix email virus worm trojan rootkit spyware privacy keylogger software hardware firewall vpn tutorial howto discussion download spam DoS attack encryption enterprise business ecommerce technology antionline computer security forum community hack hacker internet online web" />

When you said not going to happen I'm sure you were referring to my streaming media request.

There are two reasons there should be a corporate sponsored testing site. Just think of the traffic and ad revenue you could get if someone could post a vulnerability, PoC or Exploit. And have it verified by Industry Professionals.

Look I write a tutorial on how to drive a car, and one of our young patrons steals mommies car, crashes it into a tree and dies. You worried about mommie suing JupM. I post a "Zero Day" vulnarbility (again don't get me started with "buzz words") and An exploit to go along with it. Say that exploit makes exchange 2007 deliver all mail to 127.0.0.1?

So all the mail servers start talking to themselves. You really think Microsoft is going to take action against jupmedia?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

and something else just popped into my small little mind. Jupmedia has the resources (cash) other small sites don't have.

go up to the third floor and kick them lawyers in the butt. tell em to earn a living for once. We want video and exploit validation. AND Jupmedia wants to make money in the process.

and something else just popped into my small little mind. Jupmedia has the resources (cash) other small sites don't have.

go up to the third floor and kick them lawyers in the butt. tell em to earn a living for once. We want video and exploit validation. AND Jupmedia wants to make money in the process.

I have no idea how I keep double posting

yes, and? Security is the act of making it difficult to hack something. I don't see why that word(or the others listed) coming up is a problem. Like I tried to explain earlier, it's all in how you present it. I also already mentioned litigation is not our only concern. I think you missed a few posts. I realize the thread is getting quite long.

I don't know that tutorial you mentioned would be a problem at all. We would have to see it. People send such proofs of concept to security sites all the time. It's all in the presentation, just like every other forum of communication on earth.

I think a core member ship is the key - most here can think back 2 years ago and name at least 10 - 15 regular posters who where the crux of the site; Tiger, Horse, Soda, ntsa, Dino, HT, Gore, noia, foxyloxy, myself, Cem, Ice, Neg, @opyr*ght, roadclosed, catch are the ones that instantly spring to my mide (but there were more) - and it must have been a good core membership as I remembered all of them off the top of my head.

Most here will recognize all of the names but more importantly if you look at the tutorial forums you will see lots of tutorials by most of the names mentioned above, in some case more that 5 each...with lots of subsequent posts about them, all adding valuable professional content to the site - which when indexed by a search engine brings more folks here who instantly see it is a worthy site and the whole circle of posting decent professional content starts revolving.

They were professional people, who provided professional content and hung around here because it benefited them professionally.

If you look back and see when the above mentioned people stopped posting here regularly (and coincidently when most of the last decent tutorials were wrote), you will see this is when AO started to decline (in my eyes anyway). I still don't think it is a coincidence that this happened when new mods took up the reins of power.

Professional people who have put a lot of their own time and knowledge in to the site do not like having their posts censored, having posts deleted with no explanation, seeing others who's professional opinion they respect being banned for insulting a Moderator, being told what they can and can't do by a Mod on an apparent power trip or seeing others being bullied by over zealous Mod's - especially mods whose technical ability falls way short of their own.

I know most of the people I mention above still frequent other IT sites (and I don't mean the TAZ) as I still talk to most of them. Online forums are still one of the best places to pick up knowledge and stay up to date with security related issues - so it is not a case that they have out-grown on-line forums - they have just moved over to better run forums.

I left for the reasons I mentioned two paragraphs above this one - and I know for a fact I am not the only one. I haven't come here too much over the last two years because I believe the above mentioned reasons for leaving are still very much prevalent on this site.

I would like to see AO get back to what it was as there was always a social feel to the site as well as the professional information.

This site is massively over moderated for the number of active members that are here and who post on a regular basis - IMHO there should be mods here who are willing to post in the forum(s) they mod, they should encourage people to post in the forums, they should be active and not just lurk in the background and they should be actively posting tutorials - as I firmly believe that tutorials were what put AO on the map back in its hey day and are probably responsible for most of the membership.

What possible encouragement is there for member to post on a site when the moderators don't seem interested in posting themselves.......couple this with the fact that I think this is the first time I can ever remember the people above the moderators taking an interest in AO ( I am glad they are) - and you have the reason no one comes here any more..

If they are to busy to post or are not technically competent to post then they shouldn't be moderators - likewise if they come across as feeling all powerful due to them being a mod then they obviously do not have the right aptitude to be a mod.

I firmly believe the future of AO lies with finding good technically competent moderators who are willing to actively post and encourage others to do so. And with having an incentive to encourage people to post tutorials..

//edit: I hadn't thought about the content issue and the legalities of what goes on the site - I can understand where you are coming from for the need for a certain level of censorship - I just don't believe the current mods are capable of adequate and fair censorship.
    Last edited by Nokia; February 4th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I firmly believe the future of AO lies with finding good technically competent moderators who are willing to actively post and encourage others to do so. And with having an inicative to encourage people to post tutorials..
    Add - with good people skills and patience. Nearly an impossible task to find a good geek with people skills, granted, but they're out there.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

That's my job

********** |ceWriterguy
    There was the bump, now for the set and spike...

So did you hire the mods derogatorily mentioned previously in this thread then?

Sorry, couldn't hold the big guns back any more on that point - I've still got several issues with one of 'em in particular.

No, only one mod has been added during my time here, phishphreak80.