Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

I really don't mean all of the above to sound like it is all directed at Spyder, as I think he has had some very biased critique in this thread - I merely mean it to point out that not doing something with a complaint that was unanimous at the time lead to all the current issues in the first place....

But I did respond to it now, just not the response you all want. I didn't warn him about closing threads prematurely back then, but I have now. You don't remove someone without a warning. This isn't a Catholic private boarding school in the 1950s were the slightest offense gets you sent to the headmaster's office and paddled.

What you guys want is disproportionate punishment for the offense. From this point on, if it continues, and no I don't mean one single occurrence, then it would be cause to remove somebody.

When it comes to closing threads or moderating in general, it's not very black and white at all. There are nothing but shades of gray and I'll give someone a chance or 2, perhaps even 3, to try and hone in on where my idea of the threshhold is. That's being fair to someone. What you guys want, to me, seems closer to a lynch-mob mentality.

Fair one pal, I suppose looking at it from your point of view there is not much else you can really say/do - If I were you I would probably be saying the same thing.

Will be interesting to see what changes are made here to encourage tech content and new members - my vote is still with tutorials and some kind of incentive to get members to post them.

Catch you later.

FYI, we had our conf call today and we have a plan to present to upper echelons. We're gonna push for what we can get. There's 3 of us making the request, so we'll see what we can accomplish.

Banned
    AO is viewed by many as a 'hacking site' ... this is not a bad thing.
    At first people just liked the huge repository of malware riddled programs. But when the mailbag and stuff came about... they found out that if something was put here or on HNN then other sites would pick it up. The idea was to get it talked about enought where legit news sites would pick it up too.

When the forums went up things had already went to far. Most people here are got fed up with the l33t h4x0r garbage. Even JP was annoyed with it.

I only signed up when people started talking more about computers... and less about what it takes to be an internet beatnik or "l33t h4xAaAR".

I myself would rather have dry technical content without the l33t vernacular. I've always hated people who call themselves hackers. And no, I truely don't give a crap about colored hats either. The 1990s are over. Now go put on your fishnet stockings.

Am I the only one here who thinks that this is being blown up out of all proportion?

Spyder saw a thread that he thought was posted by a Troll, and closed it. That would seem (to me at least) to be pretty much what you would expect a moderator to do in that situation? Trolls feed on attention, as I would hope we all know? Closing a thread prevents that.

The only thing that you might accuse him of was not spotting a practical joke, which I hope nobody would say was a requirement of a moderator on a professional security website?

Kryptonic had to post it in a general forum or he would have given the game away.............. I saw the thread and did not respond because that would have given the game away....................

Why all the angst?

And please do not insult me by saying something along the lines of "because he did it before"............... HE DIDN'T.............

I think the resentment is cumulative, going back quite some time. But at least Nokia understands why I have to proceed the way that I am. But a promise is a promise, and from here out, any misbehavior is on my head

Banned
    What you guys want is disproportionate punishment for the offense. From this point on, if it continues, and no I don't mean one single occurrence, then it would be cause to remove somebody.
    You can't punish anyone or shut them up at all. It's a forum and people post on forums. Get over it. If I had one of my own I'd only move threads, pffft... if that.

They want a moderator removed for closing threads. I have to at least warn somebody before I do something like that

Ok... you want to know what is wrong with AO?

This thread illustrates it perfectly.

Whiny, fickle, irritating bitches.

1. Spyder is a mod. Get over it. It didn't happen overnight, and it's not going to magically reverse itself overnight. He's no better or worse than most of the mods this site has had. He's just another mod. THing is, just as with gore, he was "normal" before he became a mod. That's why you hate him. If he hadn't spent as much time as he did being "normal," he'd just be another mod. He did not get appointed because of technical skill, etc, he got appointed because he can moderate.

2. How many separate thought trains are in this damn thread? WTF?

3. You people idolize JP as if he was some sort of binary deity. He's a douche. He always was a douche, and he will always be a douche. He did some good things with this site many years ago. Get over it. He has.

4. If you want enterprise level discussions, then post enterprise level threads. If "Help, I have malware" is irritating, then ignore it.

5. Is The-Spec who I think it is? If so, welcome back, asshat.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.