Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

Banned
    Even if you outright banned a mod who cares? They can make another account. And everyone else can start up and continue conversation the very moment a thread is closed.

Because they're volunteers trying to help out, and sites can't function without em. Shouldn't treat em like trash, or anyone else, for that matter.

All I have to say is wow! I haven't been on in a couple days ( learning java) and come back to a storm... I guess it has all been boiling up to this anyways.

I didn't read every post in this thread, but I think I get whats going on for the most part.

A few suggestions/ideas:

1) hats off to JPnyc for being able to manage 30 forums without losing his mind! (not really a suggestion just something people should think about)

2) Lets all get together and overhaul the tutorial section! for example, installing OS's... If you know how to install/dualboot a certain operating system, write a tutorial about it, until there are no OS's to write a tut about on that subject. Then move on to something else.

3) Keep flaming to a minimum! contrary to popular belief WE ARE ALL NOOBS... To claim otherwise is a lie! To say that you know all is ignorant and flat out bull$hit, you may know a lot about a certain thing but, you don't know everything! Especially when it comes to computers!

4) I believe that even if we write tutorials on "the dark side" of security, and talk about it, when the word of mouth is spoken; the truth will come through! If you look at sites/forums that are for hacking/cracking/phreaking, you will see that posts asking how to use certain vulnerabilities or programs, to hack are embraced! AO would not embrace such requests therefor you have a person ask "where can I learn to hack", or "can I learn how to hack on AO?"
    and the response will be "NO" because that person has already been turned away!

5) Post any/all IT related topics! This kinda goes with number 3, I have found some of the best information not in tutorials or blogs etc... but in a simple question thread! Most likely if you have a question/comment about it, then someone else does too! Also if it is a good enough question then someone who knows enough about it will (hopefully) write a tutorial on the subject, or add on to a tutorial already in place!

Now I realize that this wont happen over night, but to say that it is not possible is ridicules! The mods should do just that Moderate! If someone feels that they are not doing their job, then report them! Do not add to the flames by running your mouth back and forth taking up posts and valuable learning space! Likewise for the users!

All this comes down to is people! WE shape whatever this is! WE have come from being a product of our environment to our environment being a product of US! If we want this to be a better place, then we can!

Lets Do It =)

(I know I am not perfect and am being totally hypocritical in many of my suggestions but am willing to change for the better, hope you are too)

Banned
    It's not so much the questions or even why they ask them. People like that care less about computers so much as they do keeping up this image of being Zero-Cool or something.

Most people own computers and can do neat things with them. But not everyone yells "Im 'ah l33t HaxAhhR!1!1!!!" while doing it though.

You guys should also take a good look at #4 in this list.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec
    It's not so much the questions or even why they ask them. People like that care less about computers so much as they do keeping up this image of being Zero-Cool or something.

Most people own computers and can do neat things with them. But not everyone yells "Im 'ah l33t HaxAhhR!1!1!!!" while doing it though.

You guys should also take a good look at #4 in this list.
    I must say, that is the first meaningful security article I have read that has spoken of "turd polishing."
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Nice one The-Spec!

That is a very thought provoking article, and written in an eminently readable style.

OK, some of the suggestions might not be options for a lot of people right now, but, as Oscar Wilde observed:

"We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars"

@ The-Spec:

I suggest that you post that link in "Miscellaneous Security Discussions" along with your comments/intro. It certainly should provoke some serious discussion on the philosopy of security, and is, IMHO, the kind of thing we are looking to promote for this site.

And yeah, I liked the "turd-polish" bit as well
    Last edited by nihil; February 6th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Nice to know we have a little support, I thank you for that. The sentiments expressed above by D0pp139an93r and ArPaNET (but don't assume I haven't lost my mind )are basically what I said earlier, the membership can influence the direction forum topics take by posting what they'd like to see. Priming the pump, as it were.

JM recognizes it's responsibility in keeping content fresh and for making the site more interesting, current and informative, and we're going to attack from our end. I think a joint effort, however, is what will have the best chance of success.

I must admit that I am just as guilty as anyone else, but in the past I think that we tended to look on the "site suggestions" forum as being more about the infrastructure, appearance, and mechanisms; rather than content and direction.

Today, there are so many more websites and blogs that I think that those last two items have come to the forefront for a successful site. Previously they tended to "look after themselves".

You have more posts than I have hair on my chest. Participation isn't a problem

So are we letting this die? What was the outcome of the conversations? Is this just another thread of "The old AO" that spanned another "AP - keep em or drop em" thread?Any ideas for the new AO or is this just going to be another social site where the "Senior Members" are nostalgic and berate the new members for asking questions that are "n00bish"?Anyone that doesn't want to read the entire thread - just start at the beginning. I'm sure that chest hairs have nothing to do with this topic.There are good ideas here...
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0