Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

No, we started the ball rolling. We have a budget for tutorials, and we're setting it up.

This whole argument is ****ing stupid.

I loved AO back when JP was in charge, and I love it now, when Jupiter is in charge.

The whole "this Mod is this or that and that Admin is this or that" argument is completely counter-productive to the spirit of this site for us "users".

The stupid bullshit about moderation and whatnot is inconsequential to ME, the 'user'.

To those that don't like the way that AO is progressing: GO THE **** AWAY! We really don't need you.

AO has been many things over the course of the years...sometimes bad, most times good. It's certainly taught me quite a bit, on both sides of the coin.

It's amazing to me how one's internet persona can overwhelm one's true persona via 'tough talk' and holier-than-thou ideologies, and THEN plug their own website/forum on top of it. ****ing foolish and self-aggrandizing.

This incarnation of AO is STILL our AO, regardless of whatever douchebagish bastardization tries to copy it.

Props to to JPnyc for letting the bullshit bounce off and keep on keeping on.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I appreciate that, and thank you. We'd rather hear what the users would like to see here and try to address those things that we can. For instance the biggest complaint seems to be lack of new tutorials, so we put that into the works. We are just figuring out the best way to accept submissions.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    I appreciate that, and thank you. We'd rather hear what the users would like to see here and try to address those things that we can. For instance the biggest complaint seems to be lack of new tutorials, so we put that into the works. We are just figuring out the best way to accept submissions.
    More tutorials would be great, esp up to date ones.

This was the reason that I asked Msmittens about where the newsletters have dissapeared to ...

Anyway good job otherwise :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    No, we started the ball rolling. We have a budget for tutorials, and we're setting it up.
    Sweet - any discussion on video hosting or access to hardware / honeypots? I know that's a huge expense and management nightmare, but still there seemed to be some interest.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I think what we're going to do is set up a new sub forum specifically for submitting tutorials. It will have specially set permissions to allow only the creation of new threads, not replies to threads, and also to permit only the author to view their thread. That's so that in the event the tutorial is not accepted for whatever reason, it will remain private.

Dead Man Walking
    To the individual who posted about "Steal this computer" referring to AntiOnline as a hacking site. That book is how I found this site. Well before 2006. And when I first came in, it was right after the transition from JP to JupMed. So what we have here is not an example of this currently being a "hacking" site. We have an example of an author not checking his existing material when releasing an updated edition. Simple as that.

I have seen some really great ideas come out of this thread. I have also seen some of the same old crap that made me walk away in the first place. People always want to play the blame game. "Its Jupiter Medias fault the site sucks" we hear from the users and "the users are the ones who make the site what it is" from Jupiter Media. Both are at fault. But thats not the point. The point is, what can be done to fix the excessive level of suck.

If you aren't willing to move on from past transgressions then shut up and go elsewhere. If this ******* that everyone keeps talking about is so great why exactly are you still here? Either be constructive or don't let the door hit you on the way out.

JPnyc, You truly have a thankless job. I hope they are paying you well. Because if you gotta deal with this crap on the other 29 forums, you have my sympathy.

I love the idea of the real time honeypot. I would really like to see something like that. If I remember correctly back when AO turned "whitehat" they came under serious attack from the other side. I also seem to remember something along the lines of a real time tracker of everybody that tried to attack the site, and the type of attack. If there is one on the list that someone hasn't heard of that would give them inspiration to do some more research.

Just my worthless older than dirt, found in the gutter next to a homeless guy $.02

I wouldn't call it worthless at all, and thank you for it. As for pay, "well" is a relative term. I can afford food, shelter, and my parents' bail (they're kleptos). Not all forums are quite like this one, however. Some are, some aren't.

You made some good points, and we accept responsibility for our share of what's wrong with the site. We're changing things on our end. We're not yet sure about a "honey-pot", still awaiting word from 'above' on that one. But the tutorials part is in motion. Should be a reality next week, we'll be setup to accept new tutes.

To those that don't like the way that AO is progressing: GO THE **** AWAY! We really don't need you.
    Thank you.. I took that advice over a year ago.. if this is the attitude of membership over this discussion I will stay away..

I have a softspot for AO.. I had put effort into contributing to the site.. and feel it would be nice if that mortar was useful in a building not waste Some changes were made..(physical/software).. I did not like.. made some suggestions.. was told to STFU.. so I left.. The bottom line here isn't the wallpaper, the colour scheme, the neighbours or the visitors..

The bottom line is the people who really did things for the site ..LEFT.. some because of work, some health, others life changes, some because of reactions from the site.. that is life..
    The site attitude is what allows these people to hang around if and when they re-visit. It is the site character that, makes them WANT to contribute.. and that sets the trend.. it contributes to the site character setting the site attitude.
    The attitude, of we don't need you if you have a criticism, only drives potential contributors away.. certainly if you have a criticism you need to have been here.. .. this site is fantastic with the punch at the door..hell I did it.. so it is interesting that it is still part of the site.. there certainly isn't a method or policy of dealing with the site criticism's.. apart from a punch in the nose or a slap that is..

THAT SAID:

The logo of a site is like its mission statement:
    Maximum security for a connected world
    tells me this is a security related site.
    So I should be able to start a discussion regarding the following:
    RTP traffic - any vulns?
    SIP weaknesses
    Policies for disposing of HDD's

I would also expect comments on improving users access to the site, layout, the relevance of certain forums, what sort of content we would like to see more of..keeping with in our mission statement..

Then remember.. people don't always agree.. people will dislike others for some stupid reason.. that's life.. and is not a reason to dislike either person by the take sides against the other.. creating flamewars to encourage the same.. Baiting the parties in threads to watch the sparks. WE'VE ALL DONE IT.. that is where the mods are needed.. not to play games with the word filter (Shut up Eg-man, fox..I know OK), or use their position to piss off users they dislike..and it happens.. (haven't been here to see if it is happening here..this is a general observation)

In the end.. this is a Security discussion Forum site, with people as members with people strengths and weaknesses.. remember the former and accept the latter.. oh and.. g'day guys.. my first non drive by posting in over a year..

/edit: Why did I have to come back and redo the formatting? ok ok.. it is in the site FAQ right? ... blame No-Script in FF..didn't have AO allowed
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; February 16th, 2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: tidy the formatting and layout..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If this ******* that everyone keeps talking about is so great why exactly are you still here?
    ZomBieMann77,

Most people are members of many sites...at least more than one site...and there are pros and cons on each of them...preferring certain attributes found on one site does not mean you have no interest in the benefit of helping the other sites you're a member of.

The smart thing to do is to explore what sites are doing what better and how can we translate that here. Not ignore the characteristics that make one site better in an area than the others.

So instead of quipping " If this ******* that everyone keeps talking about is so great why exactly are you still here? " what you should be asking is ' how can we translate those benefits here? '

Even though we have our own site that does not mean we don't have an interest in the success of the other sites we are members of.

Our participation in this thread and the constructive criticism offered shows that we do have an interest in the vitality of AO.

Eg
    Last edited by Egaladeist; February 16th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.