Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AO - Max security for a connected world

Admins and mods don't "bring in" traffic. Search engines do. And as I've already said 10 times, what is posted to the forum is what will return in searches and it will bring similar traffic.
    Wrong again J to tha P. Search engines bring in traffic, but just because you have something posted here doesn't mean it's going to shoot to the top of the search results and bring a stampede of new users with it. You can't expect Google to be your end all solution....

I'm waiting to hear your suggestions. We do referral analysis of traffic that comes in. We know where the traffic is coming from.

Really? That must be why this place has been all the rage lately. Let's say someone does dig back 10 pages in the results to find AO, clicks the link and ++'s your traffic hits. How likely is that user to stay on the page for more than 30 secs? 60 secs? What's your return visit rate? I'll bet your looking all types of spiffy on paper. Now ask yourself, what's your active user rate? How many people do you have posting and contributing? Why are 4 day old untouched threads not flushed off the front page yet?

I remember you cooking up an image for someone to post on their site that links back here. Why have I never seen a single AO ad anywhere on the internet? This site has big names supporting it, why aren't they promoting it? Maybe nobody has told them that it's not doing as good as it used to be...

don't be ridiculous, we collect and analyze all the types of analytics that you just mentioned, and more. We're not about to post it, but we do it. Let me ask you this, are you actually interested in a dialectic discussion here wherein we may find some solutions, or are you just interested in venting/lashing out? Because if it's the latter I will just let you vent and go about my business. I have 29 other forums I have to look after as well.

You replying is still off topic. It was just a test to see if you'd actually shut up and remain ON topic.

I'll just trim this down and remove all off topic posts including mine.

OK...I'm not going to quote and respond to each statement individually...so this'll be a lump together...

1. content is provided by members...but I believe nokia is referencing the fact that for members to provide content they have to have a reason...and he is completely right
    in the beginning there was reasons to contribute, write tutorials, etc...the site was new, fresh, and had appeal...it attracted a young vibrant/enthusiastic society...
    it is the responsibility of the administration to give it's members reasons to contribute...sure it's great to say ' if you want content, then start providing some ' but that's not how it works...
    it is this very attitude that is one reason senior members left...in all deference to you JPnyc you cannot sit back and do nothing...you can't just say ' the search engines bring in the members, then the members provide content '...it is this sit back and do nothing attitude that has caused members who did contribute to leave...
    it is the administrations responsibility to provide reasons for the members to stay and contribute.
    If the place is getting boring, stale, the administration must step up and do something to re-vitalize the site...re-gain interest...enthusiasm. And with a purse of approx. 26 million a quarter I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to buy or pay for some contributions once in awhile...instead of always expecting freebies. I give to the poor, I operate a charity, I work for charities...JupMed is NOT a charity nor poor...but wants members to pony up freebies as if it were a charity. This forum does not belong to the members it belongs to JupMed..it is a commercial money-making enterprise and as such it is the only commercial enterprise that expects it's members to volunteer their services, their time, for free.

2. Sure ' wear fishnets ' was a joke...the other day my daughter was goofing around, which they do often, and at first it's cute and funny...
    ' wear fishnets ' stopped being cute and funny about after 3 days...then it became annoying...then ridiculous.
    A joke to be funny and stay funny needs a beginning and an end. There's a point when you have to say...' ok, that's enough '.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; February 4th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

it did stay up longer than I intended but as I said, I manage 30 forums in total. I spend as much time on each as I can, but sometimes I do forget things. But I considered it a pretty minor thing, in any case. It's gone now, anyway.

Well as far as the administration, adding content to bring in users is out of my bailiwick, so I will defer to the editors on that. I brought this thread to their attention, and we're going to conference about it.

My job is to look after the way the forums are run(i.e. moderation and general behavior), and deal with user issues, as well as make changes to the coding and appearance.

@j to the p: do you really think i would have stayed around a dead forum if i didn't want to see it do better? I used to come here when this place was actually worth coming to. Now it's just sad. I'm sure you collect all that info, but you don't need to post it for us, we see it (or don't see it, to be more specific)
    Last edited by xiphias360; February 4th, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: the brain is quicker than the fingers

Ok, great! So here's where we are so far. I've alerted the two editors of this site to this thread. They may be in to post in it themselves. We are definitely going to conference about it to figure out how to improve conditions and content here, as well as some of the other things mentioned. We'll discuss their feasibility. Any malfeasance by moderators is solely on my head, so I would ask you if you see examples, please alert/link me. As I said I do the best I can with 30 forums and tens of thousands of active users.

You can PM me here or use the contact us link which goes directly to my work e-mail. Thanks. PS, I will keep everyone posted on everything were discussing and some discussions will take place on this forum with all of you

Time JPnyc is one thing I most definitely can sympathize with.