View Poll Results: Should reputations be disabled?

Voters
1021. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! - They're useless. Lose 'em

999 97.85%
  • No! - I use them to determine who I should listen to

11 1.08%
  • I couldn't care less if you tattooed them on my forehead

11 1.08%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should reputations be disabled?

But...but...the nice little green dots by my name would go away. They keep me company on lonely nights....

*sigh*

Hmmmm,

quite liked the idea of Antipoints - even though the system was open to abuse - it did give people a reason to post - the current system is just pointless as they don't mean squat really - does anyone even give them out any more?
    I think that all systems are open to abuse. I agree that the system has positive points, in particular it:

1. Identifies people who might be likely to make a positive contribution to the community. Of course, that doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about technically.

2. Provides some sort of incentive to contribute, as there is some sort of progression path.

3. Allows the membership to deal with those who are annoying, trolling, flaming, or whatever. At least that makes it a collective decision rather than the sole prerogative of the administration/moderation team.

Whilst I use them from time to time (generally to encourage newcomers) I think that the usage has dropped off dramatically since they have taken a backstage.

As for site statistics, I would have thought they were possible provided they were held in a separate DB, nowhere near the "proper" vBulletin one.

The details used to be on a separate page that was populated periodically, so I don't see why that couldn't be reinstated.

I would not, never, noway have them on the front page, we just don't have the room with an unadulterated version of vB?

I seem to recall having this discussion a long, long time ago (I believe when JP was still running the site). I seem to recall him mentioning an actual reward-system based on antipoints. Unfortunately, this never came to be, and the current 'reputation' system is even more useless than the original APs.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Wow, it's been forever since I've been here but I figured I should post my measly two cents, hehe.

In my personal opinion, while the reputation system had good intentions, it got to be abused fairly fast and there were too many "cliques". I would say to get rid of them entirely seeing as how greenies don't determine what someone knows and red dots could easily be thrown out on someone simply because the other person didn't like what they said, etc.

But, this is all just my opinion of course.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wow. Mention the end of APs and everyone comes out of the woodwork!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

To wave them goodbye.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Heh.

How goes the biking MsM? Been awhile since I heard from ya on it. Mind tossing in a few suggestions in the other hot thread too while you're up and postin?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    /offtopic

Eh.. biking is slow this year so far since my bikes are still in Canada and I'm in NYC now. but I'm hopeful that I'll get them before the Five Boroughs tour and try that. This year's trip is NYC --> Toronto --> Montreal (1,700km/1,000 miles roughly)

/ontopic

I'll take a look at the other thread in a second. I pop in and out of there but haven't had a chance to reply since students are demanding attention.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Students? you're teaching again?I thought you were working for VM?And my vote - back on topic - I say bring back AP's Hell just post that spaghetti code so I can finally discern how the damn things worked.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

********** |ceWriterguy
    ok, I'll play along [offtopic]Cheers! The world is a more intelligent place with you teaching in it. Please keep up the good work and thank you![/offtopic]

[ontopic] Yanno, I wouldn't mind understanding how they worked too.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!