View Poll Results: Should reputations be disabled?

Voters
1021. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! - They're useless. Lose 'em

999 97.85%
  • No! - I use them to determine who I should listen to

11 1.08%
  • I couldn't care less if you tattooed them on my forehead

11 1.08%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Should reputations be disabled?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I'd keep them because it helps sort out some answers that you get in posts. I wouldn't exactly say that I only listen to 11 dot reps but obviously a few red dots would deter confidence in a shaky answer.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    How about - similar to Nihil's last suggestion - you need to earn 11 dots first, and after that you default to one big shiny green dot that can't be touched anymore (that is, the rep system does what it does now up to the point that someone has 11 dots - from then on, rep point receiving, but not giving, is disabled for that particular member)? That way, the membership can still self-police new(er) members, and it will give new(er) members an incentive...
    I like this train of thought. There may be logistical holes that I am unaware of, and it could possibly be viewed as 'elitism' by newer members creating a backlash. BUT! I hold out the hope that the vast majority of members have a sense of trust and respect for the others, and such a thing would be a minor thought. I would be interested to hear more opinions from the more recent members of AO.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    What I can do is set up a user group that can be joined voluntarily which will hide reputation, but unfortunately it does not disable anything. All it does is remove the current reputation from view. I don't really see much point in that, myself.
    I concur...that is a BAD IDEA, and will only end in more bitching and complaining. Will solve nothing. Will only create discordance and division. Not even viable, IMO.

-Occam's Razor

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I agree with fourdc, there has to be some way to determine who is worth listening to and who isn't... Post count is not a good way...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Dead Man Walking
    First post back on my semi triumphant-semi return

Dump them. They serve no real purpose anymore. They never truly did in the first place. Yea blah blah blah ban idiots blah blah blah but it never really did any good. Because those same idiots that got AP banned just turned around and created new accounts. If I had a nickel for everytime I was on IRC or some such and a fellow member came into the channel ranting about some newbie and then the next thing you know said newbie had been nuked off the board in one post, I would be rich. And I freely admit that I was one of the ones to help with the nuking if needed. I used to pack a fairly healthy punch due to the way the algorithm worked. Not a very large number of posts combined with a fairly large amount of greenies equaled a pretty good smacking. It was broken at its best and I have seen to many of these threads since I joined.

// and by the way, what in the world happened to my band of butler monkeys to help me carry all of my greenies?

I stole your Monkeys and now they're training to rob donut shops like in the Simpsons.

Dead Man Walking
    Oh yea and I NEVER got my decoder ring

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    Scrap 'em then - they're a waste of decent GIF's...
    You're lucky someone seems to have slightly altered them, or I'd have to take offense as an artist :P

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    How about - similar to Nihil's last suggestion - you need to earn 11 dots first, and after that you default to one big shiny green dot that can't be touched anymore
    Well, I'd resurrect the idea of a Gold Dot. :P

To recap the idea from... wow, six years ago... after a certain point someone can choose to switch over and forego receiving points... in return for losing their anonymity when giving them out. Better yet, make it automatic.

Now, I'm just barely even lurking anymore, buuuuut.... I think the point/reputation system can go away as long as that comes with a similar increase in responsive moderation towards reported posts.

If that time investment cannot be given, then the community needs to maintain some way to self-police.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yep,

I go with that. Blame the government, blame the courts, blame the police, blame JupiterMedia, blame the administrators, blame the moderators.................... just make sure that you don't have any mirrors in your house.

Last edited by nihil; February 15th, 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Gold/Big Green Dots seem to be the way to go, IMO. Let's settle it once and for all.

O

-Occam's Razor