View Poll Results: Should reputations be disabled?

Voters
1021. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! - They're useless. Lose 'em

999 97.85%
  • No! - I use them to determine who I should listen to

11 1.08%
  • I couldn't care less if you tattooed them on my forehead

11 1.08%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Should reputations be disabled?

Very interesting,

Might be a compromise here?....................

1. Negging a senior member is a waste of time.......... you can only hit them one in ten times, and it would need to be done many times. or by an "alliance"

2. Reputation Point abuse on that scale would be immediately dealt with.

3. So, let people decide if they want to be "in" or "out" of the scheme......... but limit to certain "achievements"............. That would handle a lot of the Troll or obnoxious troublemaker scenarios?

4. If someone "opts out" before they have the right........... they are out..... or just allow Admins/Mods to set the flag?

5. If someone shoots at a person who is marked as not in the scheme, then that would deserve a warning? and, as the system is not used that much these days..........it would not be too onerous to manage.........I would do it, if no-one else is prepared to.

So how about that then?.............. "Hair Trigger nihil" policing the reputation points systems?

Obviously I will give you my e-mail so that you can send me reputation point bribes

It seems to me that we have missed a bit of the point here?....

Like we get so many green dots (11) then they stop? after that they are only "courtesy awards" IMHO. Hell's teeth, if you survive to 11 dots you must be at least polite and helpful?

So, are non-contributory members trying to make rules for active members on this site?

Or would I rather be a fish?

Banned
    How about - similar to Nihil's last suggestion - you need to earn 11 dots first, and after that you default to one big shiny green dot that can't be touched anymore (that is, the rep system does what it does now up to the point that someone has 11 dots - from then on, rep point receiving, but not giving, is disabled for that particular member)? That way, the membership can still self-police new(er) members, and it will give new(er) members an incentive...

That functionality isn't part of the software, and as previously mentioned by someone in this thread, the last thing we need is to start hacking up the code again. That's why the upgrade was such a bloodbath in the 1st place.

Nihil, the reputation comments can be changed to whatever level you want and the ranges to whatever is decided to (but I'd say you knew that already).

As for the green dots, I don't pass much comment on them other than they are a good indicator to a new member such as myself as to who's advise to follow.

For instance when I joined the site, one of the first posters I saw was nihil who has the highest rep. So I think to myself there is obviously a reason for this, take his advice/suggestions on board.

What I can do is set up a user group that can be joined voluntarily which will hide reputation, but unfortunately it does not disable anything. All it does is remove the current reputation from view. I don't really see much point in that, myself.

The downside being that users with severe negative rep can just join that group and we will have no way of seeing they are "stupid" until they post that is.

Unless you can only join that group by having a rep greater than X.
    See the irony, need rep points to disable rep!

LOL, yes, I see it. That actually is possible, but again it's kind of convoluted and in a way defeats the purpose. I can see this is not going to be a simple solution, and no matter what we do, someone will not like it.

Just a quick point about modifying the rep code.

Usually when I alter anything I comment the change with the date, what changed and my name.

###################
    #today by me changed
    ###################

I also note database changes from NoChange to where the scripts are that made the change and how to undo the change.

/sarcasm

Really nothing works out of the box. Are you trying to tell me that this forum is vanilla vBulletin® Version 3.5.6

And that no modification what so ever has been made?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

No, but no hacks are made to the actual code in the PHP files. Any changes are made via the plug-in system, and absolutely no changes are ever made to the database. If you do that, upgrade scripts usually don't work. We do make changes to the templates, but those are inconsequential.