Quote Originally Posted by Negative
If you steal a check from me, nothing prevents you from simply scanning the check, editing the image a bit (the payee field), and printing it out. Bank clerks don't know what all other banks' checks look like, so having non-matching paper is more than likely not an issue. They would probably indeed notice the edit if you would take 5 unnecessary steps like you are describing - not so when you take the easy route, though (that doesn't go for going to the issuing bank, of course).
I suppose this is where the American and Canadian banking systems show a real difference...we essentially have 5 banks... the various checks are quite distinguishable... even to the average person on the street who doesn't look at them regularly... Also checks have security features... security features that you can't get simply by printing the check...

Also, I think you need to consider that those units are highly personalized: when you fraudulently scan a check in the way you describe it, it's obvious to anyone that you are the one who committed the fraud (as you are the owner of the equipment). As soon as the victim notices that a check got cashed that he didn't write, the trail goes straight to you.
Who said anything about units? They are talking about using a scanner and a software package... there's nothing personalized about that...

I don't really see the difference. In both cases, fraud is pretty easy - but in both cases, you'll get caught as soon as the victim notices.
I don't think it's that cut and dry... The only record of the check is electronic... who's to say it's real or not...