Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a job

Got a job

I sent my CV out randomly to a few places last week, and Friday I had gotten a new message on my machine that the owner of a Computer shop here wanted to talk to me, and today I finally decided to go ahead and call him back.

He told me what they do, and that he wasn't really a technical person, but more on the business end, and that he showed me CV to his current tech and that he was very impressed by me.

He asked me a bunch of questions and told me about his customers and the things he wanted out of me, and I knew already he was more business than tech when he asked me if I'd be able to repair hardware... Including HDs.. I was like wow you have a clean room?

I was like really if a HD breaks you slap in a new one.

Anyway, we talked for a few more minutes and he's like OK, well I have to talk to one more person about this job so I'll call you later will you be home?

I'm like well, for most of the day yes but we do have some things to do today but I have an answering machine.

He calls back 10 minutes later and asks me what I'd do with a personal friend / customer he has because "They have aLaptop he wants to get back online but his 13 year old daughter plays games on websites and it's slow".

I'm like "Well a 13 year old with unlimited access to the net and nothign to stop them is a problem, and the slow performance tells me it's probably loaded with a bunch of spyware and depending on sites she plays on, maybe some trojans even".

His next question was can I leave right now, come down there, and go fix two customers computers, and bring the laptop home with me to fix.

I said for the laptop I'd probably just back up whatever they wanted saved, reformat and reinstall, and then load it with anti virus and spyware scanners, scan the back ups, and let whatever is safe back on and consider it a finished project.

He seemed to like that and also said an older lady had trouble hooking up a USB cable and I'd be going to her house.

I was kind of shcoked this guy is willing to pay me to basically show some old lady how to hook in a USB cable and MAYBE be re-organizing the cables hooked up to be a little more clean and not a spyderweb of cables.

When he asked about me coming in today, I thought to myself about the whole thing; People say first impressions are everything, and if I jump to his command, I may pay for that later by being his call boy, and if I don't I may not get hired and he'd think maybe I'm an ass.

So I decided to go in the middle :

I said "Well, later on I'll be working on things here, is there any way I can do it later on in the afternoon, or tomorrow?".

Basically setting bait to see which type of person he wants (IE; a Tech, or a person to do his job for him so he can sleep in) he said if possible can I make it in tomorrow at 10 AM, and I said sure, and so, tomorrow, at 10 AM, I'm driving two cities away (small ones, takes about a half hour) and starting my new job as the Bastard tech from Michigan.

I don't expect it to pay my way into a new BMW, but a pay check is a pay check and experience on a CV looks good.

Maybe I can even talk him into opening an ISP for local users which, will serve two purposes; One being I can then put on my Resume I helped start an ISP and kept it running, and was the main admin for it, and the other being, I'll probably get a raise out of it. I've taken enough business classes to know how to operate in a building so I'm not worried about that end..

Anyway, should be pretty good. His current tech, left for the Air Force right out of high school and works on a base near here (I know because he told me his life story and the tech's) and the guy already turned down a job offer because they paid the same so the money should be at least decent.

Congrats. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like you got in on a business on the edge of blooming, and maybe the one to give it the push it needs. It'd be quite a bit of work, but if done right, worth it in the end.

Good luck and all.

Thanks

CONGRATS GORE!

Thanks. It's my first real computer based job. Heh, weird huh?

Windoze: "yes", Linux: "Noze"

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Congratulations old chap!.............. youze got a new business nick "Mr. A"

I will PM you with contact details............ if it hits the fan, I am there for you, as are a hell of a lot better people on this site!

Good luck bro!

Johnno

Thank you

I know you appreciate my idea of keeping extra hardware around for "just in case" type things.

Congrats, big guy. Let me be the first to welcome you to mushroom city. Can't wait to hear about your first real corporate job.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Now something just doesn't seem right here. Gore + Computers + Customer Service? I'm telling ya, something isn't adding up.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hell, just Gore + Service doesn't always add up quite right, butlet's see how it goes before making assumptions. Benefit of doubt, and all