Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a job

Congrats. Repeat this over and over, the customer is always right and smile....
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

LOL damn it I do great with customer service. At my last in building job, there was one customer who'd ONLY deal with me. 47 year old Misfits fan

And thanks guys.

Well, first day today

I got there almost right one time (I got lost and ended up another city away and turned around, but I was only 1 minute late, it was because the road I have to go to doesn't have a sign telling you it's that road) so I got there and he sat down with me to talk about what happens and what he does.

he showed me how sometimes companies hire the people for advertising, so he was really happy I know how to do that too, since I took a class for that and know how to make little ads and things, and also he was impressed that I understand business.

Took a business course as well in college and he was really happy I understood that as well because according to him, the last 3 techs were just crap when it came to how much you charge and how you do things to run a business.

I'm sitting here right now charging a laptop up he wants me to fix up, gave me the ticket for the customer, and let me bring it home and a desktop which is a "Mystery" machine. It may or may not boot up and no one knows what's wrong.

Then later on I have to drive toa customer's house to basically set up a network, and decide MYSELF what to charge... I didn't let on that I specialize in setting up cable net connections and have friends at Comcast, that would just be rubbing it in.

I was in his store for 1 hour 30 minutes, I have a binder to look over, a laptop, a desktop, and I get paid per job I do, so I can probably get these done today + the on site call and blow his mind since apparently, the other techs he hired abuse his lack of know how in tech stuff and made it seem like it took longer.

I guess the load he gave me should be done soon but not all in one day or even 2. He basically said to me to try to at least do the drive out job tonight and go from there, but I have about 5 hours until then so if I can get this laptop rollin' and have both done I should have a nice chunk of change to work with

Anyway just an update and a thanks for the support,

-gore

Well I had lunch and popped open that Dell Laptop.

The customer didn't leave ANY passwords... OK it's being used by a 13 year old girl, so it took me all of 2 minutes to get into one of the accounts so I could install Spybot after I burned a CD of AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware.

Ad-Aware I later find out was already installed but had been REMOVED....

I don't have admin rights yet (Downloading some CDs) which reminds me, does anyone here recommend any GOOD CDs I can boot this laptop with so I can get the admin password? I know a CD exists to do this because I used it in school but I Honestly don't recall which CD it was.

Anyway, right now I'm scanning it. Already got the thing online which they said they couldn't do.

I found that by plugging in a live Cat5 cable it seemed to fix that problem.

Next after this scan, I'm going to document what was on it from THIS scan, and then install AVG, update that, and scan again, and then I may get some clean up done with it and I should be done.

I'm keeping a documented log of ALL work I'm doing on it and what I'm finding and how long it's taking me. Seems like a good idea.

I've used this successfully many times

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    so it took me all of 2 minutes to get into one of the accounts so I could install Spybot after I burned a CD of AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware.

Next after this scan, I'm going to document what was on it from THIS scan, and then install AVG, update that, and scan again, and then I may get some clean up done with it and I should be done.
    just a recommendation if you haven't tried it: (better than any other free spyware detector I've used)

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

very nice scanner...give it a try, might detect what spybot and avg might miss

--oh, and congrats on the job gore
    Last edited by C:\Saw; February 13th, 2008 at 03:45 AM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I've used this successfully many times

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    No idea how to actually make the CD, Please give some newbie advice

EDIT Hmm is this a windows editor or just a linux one

Congrats Gore

The job sounds too "smallfry" for you ...
    Last edited by Cider; February 13th, 2008 at 10:35 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

This is a linux bootable CD that allows you to edit the SAM and blank the administrator password.

Go to:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Scroll towards the bottom, it has the downloads and explains how to make either the CD version or the Floppy version.

If you are wanting to get access to a linux box and you do not know the password and you have pysical access, you can boot to single user mode and edit the /etc/passwd file or remove the drive from the system and put into another linux box and mount it as a secondary drive and then edit /mountpoint/etc/passwd and remove the root passwd.
    Last edited by Opus00; February 13th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Thanks much.

Real quick about single user mode, if you try that on a SUSE box, it doesn't work to well. I did that one to test it on SUSE... I think it was 9.3 Professional, and once you do it, the root password doesn't work anymore. Not sure about newer versions but a few from then didn't allow this. just a heads up to be careful.

wait, this guy has a clean room?! Like a commercial one? Or one he made? Because I've always wondered if it would be possible to make your own that would actually be effective.