Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comcast to FCC: We Bring Order to Chaotic Traffic

I have comcast here in Memphis...why I don't agree with them limiting traffic I am happy with my service...I can hit 12Mbps easy on my downloads.

I would rather my traffic not be monitored though ...I'd like to see less control in our personal affairs from the government.
    =

Hey O~

ALL written constitutions are feeble, and the longer they have been around, the more feeble they become. Society and technology move on, but the written constitution sits there: cast in stone, written in blood.

As Blunted One puts it:

Last time I checked we have a justice department that is supposed to be a checks and balances on the other government bodies, but by using these new "laws" and "acts" the people in charge are basically writing their way past these checks and balances.
    Another problem is when senior legal, prosecution and law enforcement positions are political appointments.

Seriously, this is very disturbing news. Just when we thought we had beaten one moneygrubbing monopoly(our phone company) with broadband flat rate phone service, the very companies that provide the foundation for that technology are turning the tables on us. The answer is not regulating bandwidth usage, the answer is having the capability within the network to handle ANY bandwidth demands from its entire subscriber base.

This type of reaction would be like penalizing someone who bathes several times a day for using too much water. I don't believe the saying goes, "cleanliness is next to gluttony".

This type of reaction would be like penalizing someone who bathes several times a day for using too much water. I don't believe the saying goes, "cleanliness is next to gluttony".
    That is exactly what happens here mate.............. water is on a meter............. use it and you pay?..................

You can also get pretty much all the bandwidth you want so long as you are prepared to pay for it

The only problem I see is that ICPs promise services that they can only approximate to if there is redundant consumer usage, that is their business model.

They just don't have the infrastructure to deliver otherwise

That is why they are looking at "trimming" those who are being greedy. The alternative is capping, which would affect more customers.

You must bear in mind "marketing speak"......................... "unlimited" means "unlimited so long as that does not exceed the expectations of our business model"

its metered here too, but it's so incredibly cheap that it doesn't matter. But the real point is not the fact that you have to pay a few pennies extra to use more water, but the fact that no matter how much you could conceivably use in a normal day to day life, you wouldn't be depriving anyone else. Water will still come out of their tap.

I'm sure there are a great many people in Manhattan and greater New York City indulging in the same practices as mentioned in that article, and yet my download speed is always around just under 10 Mb. Very little variation, even at peak times.

Hmmm,

Water over here isn't cheap.............. you are looking at $400~$800 per year.......... more if you have a family.

As for download speeds, they do vary quite a bit. I would guess that places like NYC are kept pretty much up to date............... here the infrastructure is mostly pretty old............. I get 5~6 depending.

Personally I do not see ICPs providing anything above the minimum infrastructure that they think they can get away with. Hence they don't like torrents.

My concern is that in order to apply their minimal infrastructure business model, they will support the RIAA and MPAA. All those creeps would have to do is offer to pay them for their effort.

This has absolutely nothing to do with privacy, eavesdropping, or whatever............ this is all about commercial greed as I see it. The ICPs don't give a rodent's rectum about what you download content wise............. they do care about how frequently, and how much you download.

The RIAA/MPAA don't give a rodent's rectum about how much or how frequently you download, but they do care about the content.

My question is: how long it will be before these erstwhile protagonists discover that they have a lot of common ground, and form an unholy alliance?

Not here. If you have a lawn to water, maybe $200 to 270, but without that, maybe 150 a yr or so.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hey O~

Another problem is when senior legal, prosecution and law enforcement positions are political appointments.
    This I agree with wholeheartedly. I probably should have explained that I included this thought in my previous posting, but didn't explicitly say it. I didn't mean to be reactionary towards you, Nihil, but I keep watching my country that I love, which was founded on very simple laws and standards, keep on degrading and being abused by those in power who wish to twist things to their own ends. It's just sickening.

I am a proud American. I love the idea of my country. I will tend to get a bit touchy at times, but I imagine a lot of the touchiness comes from my disillusionment for what I see happening here. It seems like my words don't count, and the 'officials' are serving their own ends rather than serving the population. I still have the ideal in my head, but the politicos don't. It's like banging my head against a brick wall.

So, heaven forbid, a Brit says that our Constitution is weak or faulty. Nationalism is not the best thing, but I can't help but keep alive the ideals that our beloved USA was founded on (the Constitution).

I didn't mean to turn this post into a rant, but there it is. Nihil, no hard feelings. The USA is turning into something that I don't like, and I feel powerless to change it. It's frustrating.

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; February 15th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

If the Federal Government (US) could be forced to go back to what it is allowed to do in the Constitution we would be much better off in my opinion. They spend almost all of their time finding ways to expand their powers. Now we have them spending millions of dollars investigating the use of steroids in baseball. I love baseball. I think that any records set by steroid users should be discounted. But I am sorry the Congress of the US has no business investigating baseball. Show me in the Constitution their authority in that area. Read the 10th amendment idiots in Washington....
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

I agree, MLB should be policing that entirely. Since when does our gov. care what happens in a damn GAME? Work on what's important! And there's plenty of important things that need a TON of work!