Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comcast to FCC: We Bring Order to Chaotic Traffic

I don't think it is paranoia, I would more say concern for how our government conducts itself. Using the deaths of 9/11 to pass dumb laws that allow for more power for the government under the names of the "Patriot Act", "Protect America Act"...what a bunch of crap.

You can't actually say that you don't find all these recent things about granting immunity to illegal wiretapping or letting Comcast be the internet police is actually a good thing.

Here is some scary info I found recently...

http://www.alternet.org/story/76388
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Quote Originally Posted by Blunted One
    I always loved the saying that people shouldn't fear the government, a government should fear its people. But it seems that the government has no fear of its people now. That is very very bad.

Part of the reason it is so important to disarm the American people, especially if they are turning loose a private paramilitary that you mention in your last post. We can't have anyone able to fight back can we? (I confess to (at times) being a member of the right wing wackos.)
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Muhahahahahahahahahaha

Look at all the exposed raw nerves...................

Phernandez old chap, will you please stop propagating that age old typo?....... it is not "ISP" it is "ICP" (Internet Charge Provider)

Hey guys, I am not being paranoid here.............. this is a serious issue. These ICPs make a lot of money out of selling the same service to three different people at the same time.

If everyone actually used what they were contractually entitled to, at the same time, the whole fragile house of cards would collapse.

Now, BitTorrent is generally used to share copyright material........... don't even bother to argue that.............

Torrents and illegal file sharing are causing a big problem to the ICPs' business model of selling the same thing to three different people at the same time? It relies on us not using our entitlement all the time so that they can sell it to someone else as well!!!!

Problem for the file sharing community is that they are not a particularly significant component of the ICPs' cash flow model..............

For every customer who uses BitTorrent, there must be going on 50 who do not.

Again, I would propose that the ICPs have thus far resisted the RIAA and MPAA overtures and pressures because of the unreimbursed costs such actions represent to them.

If the ICPs feel that their business model is threatened, they will jump into bed with the RIAA/MPAA quicker than a rat up a drain.

Furthermore, please don't think that your feeble Constitution will protect you.......... it won't.

And remember................. the acronym "ICP" is mine, you read it on AO first

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    And remember................. the acronym "ICP" is mine, you read it on AO first
    New rule: coining acronyms is forbidden. ICP's Mine now!

I guess the Insane Clown Posse will have to change their acronym then. Lol. I work in the telecom/aDsl portion of At&t. I do field work everyday. And from time to time I have seen "monitoring" devices whether it be recorders or even cameras for the local police. I have never personally installed one myself, but for sh!ts and giggles I knocked one out by disconnecting the dial tone. Lets just say that is was up and running in less than 20 minutes.

They take those things serious. Believe it or not it is incredibly simple to tap a phone line. It is sooooo simple. All you need is the equipment and a basic understanding of telephone networking. As far as being charged for shared bandwidth, Im glad I got a dedicated subscriber line. I remember the days of the original napster and waiting until 2 am to start downloading so it would go faster than later in the day when everyone else was online. I was using Time Warner then and I was always mad at the quality of service I got.

Only special courts should be allowed to give the ok on "monitoring devices", just going around and bullying telecom companies to comply or else is what you could called a dictatorship.

Last time I checked we have a justice department that is supposed to be a checks and balances on the other government bodies, but by using these new "laws" and "acts" the people in charge are basically writing their way past these checks and balances. When no one is watching over their shoulder, then who is to stop them from becoming even more corrupt than they are now?

I think this quote applies....

Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately....

and I think the US and UK governments are reaching for that ultimate power. Scary to think they already have so much control and they want even more.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Banned
    Everybody was too busy with primaries and caucuses, and nobody listened to Bush's final State of the Union speech... and those who did listen were asleep by the end of the speech, when this came up:

State of the Union, 2008 - http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...080128-13.html

"On the home front, we will continue to take every lawful and effective measure to protect our country. This is our most solemn duty. We are grateful that there has not been another attack on our soil since 9/11. This is not for the lack of desire or effort on the part of the enemy. In the past six years, we've stopped numerous attacks, including a plot to fly a plane into the tallest building in Los Angeles and another to blow up passenger jets bound for America over the Atlantic. Dedicated men and women in our government toil day and night to stop the terrorists from carrying out their plans. These good citizens are saving American lives, and everyone in this chamber owes them our thanks. (Applause.)

And we owe them something more: We owe them the tools they need to keep our people safe. And one of the most important tools we can give them is the ability to monitor terrorist communications. To protect America, we need to know who the terrorists are talking to, what they are saying, and what they're planning. Last year, Congress passed legislation to help us do that. Unfortunately, Congress set the legislation to expire on February the 1st. That means if you don't act by Friday, our ability to track terrorist threats would be weakened and our citizens will be in greater danger. Congress must ensure the flow of vital intelligence is not disrupted. Congress must pass liability protection for companies believed to have assisted in the efforts to defend America. We've had ample time for debate. The time to act is now. (Applause.) "

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    Everybody was too busy with primaries and caucuses, and nobody listened to Bush's final State of the Union speech... and those who did listen were asleep by the end of the speech, when this came up: "Congress must pass liability protection for companies believed to have assisted in the efforts to defend America."
    I can't think of a more 'slippery slope' than that.

And hey Nihil, our Constitution is not 'feeble' at all, and I take offense to the suggetion that it is. It just needs to be upheld properly by people with the convictions to do so. The current crop of politicians running for the presidency don't have those convictions. Neither did Mr. Bush, who frequently wiped his arse with it.

I'm SO disillusioned with politics and politicians that I could just puke.

<sigh>

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

BTW - Comcast as a company is hardly hurting. Take it for what it's worth...

Comcast Profit Up 54% - NY Times

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phernandez
    BTW - Comcast as a company is hardly hurting. Take it for what it's worth...

Comcast Profit Up 54% - NY Times
    Interesting to see how the money has moved around a bit in regards to where it's being generated the most. Raising prices while losing number clients may have helped them survive for now but the question is: are they really doing things to help "bring order to chaotic traffic"?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage