Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly unemployed, need advice

Suddenly unemployed, need advice

So a few weeks ago (February 4th) I landed a sweet job at a small firm that services law firms (setting up servers, exchange, various software, workstations, yadda yadda). I was brought on as a right-hand man for one of the partners who had gotten WAY too busy to handle his workload. Today I received a phone call early this morning from said partner saying he had "resigned" and no longer needed a right hand man and that basically I no longer have a job. I wasn't royally pissed because honestly I did not enjoy working for either of the two partners. Thinking even if this guy doesn't need me anymore the other partner is probably hurting for some help if this other jerk didn't even give notice, I decide to call him up and see what the deal is. The deal is the partner I was directly working for is "No longer welcome anywhere near them" and due to my affiliation with him outside of work (which is an issue I'd rather omit from this sad little story), they cannot work with me either. They were very polite, genuinely apologetic, and even offered to pay me unemployment even though I was only there for less than 20 days. That's great and all, however, I am still unemployed and I'm getting married in three months.

Kay, so, I took today to think about how I wanted to use this sudden opportunity and perhaps change directions, but I think I want to keep pursuing a job in the IT field, preferably in hardware and networking because it's what I know.

Problem: I have no credentials on paper aside from multiple previous jobs that will give me good reference. I have no degree in IT nor any certifications, but I do have several years of legit job experience.

Hair-brained idea: If at all possible, I want to go into business for myself. I'm scared to death to do it, but even if it's less lucrative than working for another small firm or as a network administrator somewhere, I have a passion for it and would greatly enjoy it. Is this feasible? Where would I start and how? I'm wide open to advice and criticisms....thanks to all who have read this far.

hey keezel, sorry to hear about your job... Congrats on getting married though!

pursuing a job/career in the IT field sounds like a great job for you, but I would advise against trying to start your own business while your unemployed, and three months away from getting married.

I have no idea of your financial situation nor am I insinuating that your poor, but starting your own business requires a very stable financial situation. Most startup companies fail because they run out of money!

Like I said before, I don't know your financial situation... But if it were me, in the financial situation I am in right now. I would collect unemployment, get married, have a great time on my honeymoon, then get a new job =)

I am not sure how an employer would feel about you taking time off for your wedding/honeymoon, if you got a new job right away...

good luck with whatever you decide.

Just Another Geek
    Putting my resume up on monsterboard did it for me

Got so many job offers I had to choose
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    Putting my resume up on monsterboard did it for me

Got so many job offers I had to choose
    What is this monsterboard you speak of?

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi keezel,

First of all: good luck mate!

I don't know your circumstances but I would be inclined to agree with ArPaNET in that setting up a new business requires a reasonable amount of capital and your total concentration and dedication.

I would suggest that you might look at the possibility of providing a "service" to mom & pop stores and/or small businesses? Like they may want some sort of variable resource (make sure that you get a retainer fee, as well as a per diem or per item)

Just a thought................ I shall pray for you.......... yes I do

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    What is this monsterboard you speak of?
    Job site...

http://www.monsterboard.com
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks to all and Arpanet especially for the wise advice. I was planning to just pick up a part-time job to get some extra cash before I got married, and then today things have taken another twist.

The firm has eliminated their hardware/networking branch in order to focus more heavily on the software they specialize in supporting and they have agreed to outsource all of their hardware/networking clients to me. I'm told I need a website up and running PDQ, as well as business cards and a corporate checking account. So now I REALLY need help/advice but of a different nature I think...

Start with: Do you want to do this?

if you do, then go ahead and work with what you were told you need...
    1) a website-- can you create/manage your own? are you sufficient in HTML, or whatever language you want to create the website in? Do you have the money to purchase the domain?
    2)running PDQ--got one? comfortable with C language etc..
    3)business cards-- http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/...tationery.html
    easy solution
    4)corporate checking account--pretty much the same as a regular checking account; depending on where you bank, your going to get a opening deposit of (usually) $100 USD ( http://www.wamu.com/business/checkin...hidelink=false )

The last two are simple, a quick trip to your bank, and a kinkos, and you have them... The first two require something from you. If your not sufficient in those things then you can do one of two things, hire someone who is, or learn =) I am sure there will be no shortage of help from the AO community when it comes to that.

It all comes down to: can you? and do you want to?

Hmm...

I have a basic understanding of HTML, PDQ = pretty damn quick and I meant it as an acronym (LOL), and the other two seem frighteningly simple. I even use WAMU! Thank you sir...I owe you one.

Your very welcome, if you need any help with HTML or setting up a website feel free to PM me. I am sure there are more knowledgeable people on this site when it comes to PDQ...

Anyway you decide to go, I hope you succeed =)