Thread: WAN question

Question WAN question

First let me preface this with, where at AO do we discuss WAN technologies? But this definitely qualifies as chit chat.

I just got asked a very interesting question and before I dig too deep into the net to find out about it I'd like to know if anyone here would know if it's even possible...

Here's the setup: There's a Cisco 7206xvr with 24 T1s and a frac T1 (256k) muxed on a DS3. There is a 4 port ethernet card and a 4 port t-1 pri card in the box also.

Here's the question, inside the 7206 can you break the traffic off of the one frac t1 and have it come out the ethernet card so that connection can be DMZ'd.

Now my first thought was that you'd have to have the telco break it off and supply you with a termination so you can utilize the pri card for that one and then you'd be able to split the traffic off to the DMZ, but is there some cisco kung-fu that anyone can think of to do that without having to get the telco involved? (not that I have anything against telco's but this is a good learning experience )

I'm researching this in the mean time but I thought it'd be at least interesting to hear what anyone else could come up with. So have at it.

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

what you probably could do is set up a ACL to route all of that traffic out of a specific port in this case the Ethernet port. but if you want to do it a diffrent way just buy another router hook it up to the network and on the original router just set the ACL to not allow any traffic on to the port with the frac t1 unless its coming from or going to your secondary network which would be your DMZ which would keep all of your data separate but as far as doing it with out having the frac t1 with out its own termination i don't know if thats possible because i am almost sure there is no way on the router that you can set it to use only the frac t1 if its all bundled up like that.