First a short introduction, then for the questions:
Hi I am fairly new to linux. I started with slackware 12 just after it came out. I have an understanding of basic bash commands. I just successfully compiled and installed the 2.6.24 kernel for the first time.

Why I am here, I like playing with computers. Ive always had windows until this last year. I thought I would try linux and started with knoppix. I found irongeek and he got me interested in security. I later set up a dual boot xp/slackware. Prior I knew nothing about security. I had windows firewall and av. I thought that was all I needed. Well, I downloaded and tried ettercap. One day I left ettercap running and walked away for some time. Hours later I discovered two other people's name and passwords. Two other people had been on my home network. I had no idea for how long or what they saw. I had file sharing on with sensitive info I had backed up on my wife's computer through our network. I was quite alarmed and immediately turned off the wireless part of the router. It was through that experience I decided I had better learn more about security. I started with installing shorewall firewall with all ingress turned off. I have done numerous tests to see what ports are open and how to close them.

Now that I have introduced myself, now for my questions.
I was considering recompiling my kernel with selinux. I thought that would be easier since I don't know how to patch my kernel with selinux. I wanted a little feed back from people who use selinux and weather it it right for me. I started reading the papers on selinux from nsa and redhad and it seem quite exhaustive and alot to learn including lots of acronyms and new terms.

ok ok enough rambling now for the questions,
1. I have a family network of three computes, should I be using selinux? Or Is it more geared towards the corporate structure?

2. I was a little fearful that if I recompile my kernel with selinux that it will mess up my system. There does not seem to be much support for installing it on slackware.

3. Is it very intrusive and inhibiting. Will I have to change selinux everytime I install from source?

4. What is pam? I read two forums where they want selinux but without pam.

5. Since selinux looks at every object (file) will I need to spend quite a bit of time setting it up to enable everything I am currently using as a user. In other words, will I run into lots of problems with lots of objects disabled?

The reason I am a little unsure about it and maybe my fears are for nothing, is because I don't want to mess up my system. I don't want to have to spend time reinstalling everything again.

Thanks
C