Thread: Setting up an auto response.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Setting up an auto response.

Hey all

Our company is running exchange 2003 / 2007. All nodes are running outlook= 2003 / 2007.

We get clients emailing over the weekend asking for login detials, technical support etc etc.

I have been given the task of setting up an autoresponse email that must be sent back to clients once they email.

For example:

Client A email us saying he forgot his username and password.

I then want an auto generation email to go out.

Now questions are.

Is this possible with the current setup?

If so, will we have to put in more money?

How does this work?

Thanks in advance.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm not sure if it is possible or more to the point if you'd want it.

Think how easy it is to fake an email with the senders details and have a different reply address.

Also, how easy is it to sniff packets.

I would suggest an alternative method, maybe a login page on a website with various security questions for them to get their password.

Wolf there is this website to botain there passwords. The generated email will just provide the link to that particular website.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

I recall you were looking for a Vista modem driver?

http://ftp.mustek.co.za/drivers/list...L%2FAUS18CX%2F

As for this question, I would say that it is "mission impossible" for this reason:

We get clients emailing over the weekend asking for login detials, technical support etc etc.
    So you don't even know if it actually is a client, let alone what it is about?

I think that Wolfe~ is along the right lines, in that you need some sort of out of hours support website? You could populate that with secure links, FAQ, manuals and all sorts of good stuff.

You could then refer them to the site in the autoresponse e-mail.

The downside is that you will never know if they have managed to sort themselves out, and the response will be sent to all e-mails that hit that mailbox.

AFAIK Outlook & Exchange support autoresponses. I seem to recall with earlier versions of Outlook you had to make sure that Word was not your e-mail client.

I agree with the above, that the direction you are going in may not be the best but, to answer your question...

There are a couple of ways to accomplish an auto response email. The easiest and cheapest (free) way would be to create a generic email box in Exchange. Open it with Outlook and create a rule that will respond to the emails that it receives.

Note there are 2 types of rules, server side and client side. creating a server side rule will allow the rule to process without requiring a client to be attached.

That should get you started...

m2
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I agree with you Nihil. You dont know if it is a client or what their problem/s is

We do get alot of spam so therefore every email that hits the mailbox will therefore get the email.

The Panda main site has the FAQ, a section where you can input your email address that you registered your product with.

So I just would like to send an email with the links to this site/s.

Otherwise thanks for the tips - If you have any other tips please let me knows.

EDIT:

The boss just pointed out that he doesnt want customers to wait for there login details if they didnt recieve it via email when registering. Ill just setup the "free" way to just autoresponse to an email with the desired links.

We only work Monday to Friday even though on the product it says "24 HR tech support" - RUBBISH.

Thanks for the tips
    Last edited by Cider; March 13th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mmelby
    I agree with the above, that the direction you are going in may not be the best but, to answer your question...

There are a couple of ways to accomplish an auto response email. The easiest and cheapest (free) way would be to create a generic email box in Exchange. Open it with Outlook and create a rule that will respond to the emails that it receives.

Note there are 2 types of rules, server side and client side. creating a server side rule will allow the rule to process without requiring a client to be attached.

That should get you started...

m2
    Could you explain how to do this or should I just google it.
    Albert Einstein