Thread: Is Vista getting better?

Is Vista getting better?

It seems Service Pack 1 is getting panned in some circles.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/62250.html

I remember there were lots of problems with XP's service packs,
    especially on spyware infected computers. Anybody upgraded
    yet, and on what kind of hardware (old, new, custom)? And if
    so, what's your take? Thanks.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by brokencrow
    It seems Service Pack 1 is getting panned in some circles.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/62250.html

I remember there were lots of problems with XP's service packs,
    especially on spyware infected computers. Anybody upgraded
    yet, and on what kind of hardware (old, new, custom)? And if
    so, what's your take? Thanks.
    I plan on upgrading... I was out of town all week, and I've slept all weekend. I'll probably upgrade next weekend, as I have some RAM on order that I have to pick up... so I figure I'll get the new RAM and upgrade at the same time.

Hi there brokencrow, and a happy Easter to you (OK, my festival but I still must wish it to all creeds and denominations?)

I guess this is sort of inevitable? we have a pretty revolutionary OS here?

I have just started to seriously mess with it myself...........other than support

I will borrow a friend's CD/DVD with SP1 and install it.............. now here is where I see a problem?................ everyone cusses Microsoft.............. hell, I do it !!!!! but in this case they have to be given credit............ they want you to do it through autoupdate, so they can check if you are using equipment with rogue drivers or incompatible ones.

Do it any other way my friend and you are on your own (AO excepted). I don't have that option as my ISP hasn't sent me the Vista hub/router. Well, it is free, so why go buy?

Actually it could help me?................ you see, I built 2 machines, but only have 1 copy............. so the one that works with SP1 wins?

Banned
    Haven't installed the "final" version yet - still running the beta. Other than the serious activation problems it gave me, I haven't had any problems. I've heard people mention Trend Micro problems with SP1, but it works perfectly fine with the beta. Overall, I find my Vista installation (on a 100% "Vista-approved" PC) to be the most stable Windows installation I've ever had. The OS has never crashed on me - if an application crashes, the OS nicely isolates that application, and the OS remains responsive.

If I wouldn't be working on my thesis right now, I'd install SP1 - from what I've heard, I'll first need to uninstall the beta, so it wouldn't surprise me if I run into problems again...

Well, I tried Windows Update, and no SP1 yet there. I figure to go ahead and run SP1 when it's available. I largely use it for training and testing at this point. Technet subscribers can get the full version from the looks of it. Cnet's got an interesting review:

"...Microsoft says it has learned from Windows XP SP2, an upgrade that sometimes stranded users with long, overnight downloads. Windows Vista is modular, thus the upgrade will download only the bites of code necessary for your specific system. If you have enabled Automatic Updates, in theory, you should have a much shorter download and installation of the upgrade than someone who hasn't kept up with the numerous updates since Windows Vista's release."

http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/wind...-32853289.html

Yeah, Neg, I had some activation issues when I installed Vista to begin with (pre-SP1). I loaded Vista Enterprise on a three-year-old P4, put in the CD-key and it appeared to connect and activate. About a week later, I realized it wasn't updating and Vista was asking me for a MAK key (and to see an admin) when I tried. Rather than bother the boss, I googled my issue and sure enough, the solution was to simply re-enter the CD key.

Am I to understand Vista activates or re-activates every 6 months? I've got a feeling activation is different across the ass't versions, and that we'll see more activation problems than we saw with XP. But only time will tell. Lawdy, they make it complicated sometimes.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Regal Making Handler
    Quote Originally Posted by brokencrow
    Well, I tried Windows Update, and no SP1 yet there. I figure to go ahead and run SP1 when it's available. I largely use it for training and testing at this point. Technet subscribers can get the full version from the looks of it. Cnet's got an interesting review:

"...Microsoft says it has learned from Windows XP SP2, an upgrade that sometimes stranded users with long, overnight downloads. Windows Vista is modular, thus the upgrade will download only the bites of code necessary for your specific system. If you have enabled Automatic Updates, in theory, you should have a much shorter download and installation of the upgrade than someone who hasn't kept up with the numerous updates since Windows Vista's release."

http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/wind...-32853289.html

Yeah, Neg, I had some activation issues when I installed Vista to begin with (pre-SP1). I loaded Vista Enterprise on a three-year-old P4, put in the CD-key and it appeared to connect and activate. About a week later, I realized it wasn't updating and Vista was asking me for a MAK key (and to see an admin) when I tried. Rather than bother the boss, I googled my issue and sure enough, the solution was to simply re-enter the CD key.

Am I to understand Vista activates or re-activates every 6 months? I've got a feeling activation is different across the ass't versions, and that we'll see more activation problems than we saw with XP. But only time will tell. Lawdy, they make it complicated sometimes.
    Have been using Vista for a couple of weeks now. This is the one feature that has impressed me the most.

I had some issues with Internet speed to start with. Tried all the "netsh" fixes and disabling "IPv6" and the like. Turned out to be my router. Once the firmware was updated all was well.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I've ran sp1 on 2 machines, but both were 'fresh' computers, with no real extra programs/apps, let alone spyware. They both took sp1 fine. Tonight or tomorrow I'll be putting it on 2 machines that are already out being used, I'll post the outcome here.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Looking at the benchmarks sp1 made minimal speed improvements and xp sp2 wipes the floor with it. When XP came out it was buggy not slow so the problems with the OS were addressed pretty easily with Sp1/Sp2. Vista is buggy AND slow. It will take more then 1 Sp to bring it up to speed if it ever does reach that point.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I updated my machine at work to Sp1.

had one bluescreen today but that was due to incompatibility with certain software. Otherwise everything works fine.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein