Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XP SP3

XP SP3

If anyone is having problems with this service pack update then perhaps my experience might help.

I tried using MS Update which was about as speedy as a garden slug. It then proceeded to give me weird error messages and I am pretty sure that whatever it had managed to load was in no way stable.

My advice if you have problems:

1. Go to the MS site and get the full download. It is called WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe and is 324,030Kb

2. Run it. If you get to the bit where it complains about "unrecognised files" and wants to revert to the old versions.............don't let it, make it load the new files.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue, as it did for me.

I have no idea what these files actually were, but at a guess I would suspect unsigned drivers, as I did see it building a list of third party drivers earlier in the installation?

What's your impression of the service pack, nihil? Besides the installation problems, that is...

Thanks.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi there brokencrow,

Looks OK to me, apart from getting it to load using the MS website. I have not encountered any problems and everything else seems to be playing nice with it.

As long as this has been in the works, you would have thought M$ would have worked out the "quirks" in the installer before roll out.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by isildur
    As long as this has been in the works, you would have thought M$ would have worked out the "quirks" in the installer before roll out.
    Yea, you'd think huh?
    They also released a vista update that corrupted startup files on 50% of our vista workstations. They would not boot until the startup repair was run from the CD.
    We are stearing clear of sp3.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Isn't the general rule of thumb to wait about a month or two, especially when it comes to service packs (which often do kernel rewrites), before applying? I know the last batch of updates pooched one of my XP systems (1 of 2) so I decided to not download the other and just wait for the SP, in hopes that it doesn't cause problems.

Nihil, can you check and verify if SP3 includes NLA for RDP? Did they update that or not?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Amen MsMittens - I agree you always wait awhile IMO :-)

What's the logic to waiting to install SP3? Will MS release a revised SP3 (have they
    ever revised an SP)? Or will some new patches for XP make SP3 in its current form
    less troublesome? Fwiw, I downloaded SP3 today, no problemos. Haven't installed
    yet. Like many here, I cast a wary eye.

Speaking of buggy software, I downloaded Xubuntu 8.04 for this old laptop, a PIII with
    512 mb ram (Compaq Armada). Whew, Firefox 3 Beta is standard and it's poopy on
    this old unit. And, of course, Ubuntu has to craft their own add-on for Mozilla so when
    I downgraded to Firefox 2, I kept getting add-on errors and nothing worked. Finally renamed
    the old .mozilla folder after uninstalling for the second time and now everything works.

Ubuntu's getting as bad as MS...

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi MsM,

Yes it is supported (sort of) but it may well not work "out of the box" ........ mine didn't, but then I found this:

http://web2.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26700

brokencrow

What's the logic to waiting to install SP3?
    Basically to test compatibility with legacy, complex, and bespoke systems. Please remember that XP SP3 and Vista SP1 were delayed because they were not compatible with Microsoft applications, let alone anything else

Will MS release a revised SP3 (have they ever revised an SP)?
    No and yes. I remember SP 6 for NT 4.0 it lasted all of two weeks before they came out with SP 6a

If you wait you can see what problems other people have and you can decide to upgrade or not