Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sicko Hackers

I've come back to this thread a few times and have concluded only one thing. I am going STRAIGHT to hell. No passing go, no $200.

The only thing I can say is: That's almost the funniest defacement I've ever see. Almost as funny as when Spec put little pink kitties all over the Malaysian Army's home page. (He had no idea it was a government site)
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hmmm,

The only thing I can say is: That's almost the funniest defacement I've ever see.
    Strictly speaking it isn't a "defacement".......... if it were I would not have even bothered to comment.

The Epilepsy Foundation must rate somewhere near minus infinity in the ranking of "controversial" websites?

Yet it was compromised? Now, that could have been malware that took over your computer? as it happens it was a juvenile prank..... or so it seems?

My point is that sites that people have grown accustomed to trust are no longer safe? That, to me, is disturbing!

Almost as funny as when Spec put little pink kitties all over the Malaysian Army's home page. (He had no idea it was a government site)
    Suspicions confirmed............... he didn't even check the quality of his work

I agree, it's shameless picking on people who have enough problems. I'm not sanctioning hacking other sites either, but this is despicable.

JPnyc

To get back to the reason for my post.............. this would be a "trusted site", and it was compromised...... if that had been with a bot or trojan????

That is what worries me. OK, you have "net nanny" or whatever looking after your kids, but what happens if they go to a "trusted site" that has such software injected?

I see this as a pretty major security issue; at least for home users?

yes, but that same issue exists for every major site that gets compromised. As we all know, plenty of them have. I find this one especially despicable because of the nature of the site and the nature of the hack. They left little doubt as to what their intent was, and it was a despicable one.

JPnyc,

This is the problem as I see it: it is "major sites" getting compromised.... particularly charities, as they can hardly afford the IT security guys?

Joe Public "trusts" the major non-controversial sites?

It is a nasty accident looking for a spot marked "x"

I agree with that aspect also, and this isn't the first such example. Even sites that can afford proper security have been compromised. Heck, the support forum for the browser I use was compromised last year or the year before and a number of users were infected. Fortunately, I don't visit it often.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Not funny or amusing at all. It's one thing to poke fun at someone for whatever reason...it's completely another thing to maliciously (they knew what they were doing) attempt to cause harm (induce seizures) in someone. Unacceptable and shameful.

so phuck Charlie Manson, I'll snatch him out of his truck, hit him with a brick and I'm dancing.

Yes, this is horrible...however...when one is a kid....and these hackers were most likely just that...that 5h1t'5 funny...

Hmmmm,

that 5h1t'5 funny
    That seems to be a problem with some kids today: they just don't think of the consequences of their actions.

I get bored telling them not to try to circumvent their school's security content filter. If the school has anything like a half decent network administrator, they will get caught and kicked out

In this case, they should have considered that a seizure can result in death, and that is no way a "reckless indifference" rap........... it's MAN2

Doesn't look too good on the old resume................... after Bubba has finished with you.

That brings me back to what I consider to be the real issue (forget the childish prank) there must be hundreds of thousands of insecure sites like that? Supposing the injection was a rootkit loader rather than a few links?