Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this mess?

What is this mess?

Its a webpage I wrote...
    http://nwioic.org
    Its the place I work at.
    I'm in the process of a new look at the moment.
    Let me know what you think.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Its a webpage I wrote...
    http://nwioic.org
    Its the place I work at.
    I'm in the process of a new look at the moment.
    Let me know what you think.
    IMO, way to much text. I like site with some pictures, graphics and images. However, when I click the link it's all text I see.

It looks nice. Seems OIC has a lot to convey, which the site does,
    and it appears well-organized. Of course, the proof is in the pudding,
    that is, the experience your users have. So be open to feedback
    from those you serve.

What tribes do you serve? That's mostly Ojibwe/Chippewa up there,
    yes?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Nice page tripstone

I like the option to choose colors...dont see that often

Perhaps change the backround pic? It seems lacking in resolution, maybe choose a higher resolution lake shot with some trees or something--or is that the pic they wanted you to use?

just my 2 cents
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

No...its a picture I took...its a lake that my town is named after (Bemidji)...I lowered the resolution way down as to make it load a little quicker...I still have the high-res version...but I am changing the layout...this one is too constrictive and I am missing a whole of information and with the current layout, making any room for additions will be a pain in the butt...as for putting more images and whatnot in...I guess...but I like reading...is there perhaps a different way for me to display all this text and not make it so scrunched up? I supposed using what real estate I have more efficiently would help and so that is what the new layout I am in the process of designing will hopefully be accomplished. Here are other links...
    http://nwioic.org/SecondGlance
    http://nwioic.org/AgentDrex
    http://nwioic.org/MIGC

I think the biggest thing is that the images for the subpages more sit on top of the page then look like they are part of it. Its hard to explain but maybe you understand what i am saying..

It's a nice design. I liked it

Although I suggest to add an image to the active link, don't just leave a grey box.

Also your page code is not very well laid out. The major point of using CSS is to make sure that the search engines can get to the content of your site as soon as possible. You on the other hand have laid out the code same way as you would in the table based design. I didn't have the time to check all your code, as am working at the moment, but my advice would be to move the main content of your pages to the top of the page code. If you got your CSS righ, it should not influence the way the page shows.

I will try to remember to check your code once I get a moment and will see if there's anything I can help with.

Still, nice design
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Nightcat -- good point...I looked through the code and what you said about setting it up like a table-based page is so correct...I will follow your suggestion and make sure the next design has the main content at the top of the code...

Nice designs
    Now all you have to do is some light tidying up.

Check the markup (HTML, XHTML, …) of Web documents
    The W3C Markup Validation Service

This validator checks the markup validity of Web documents in HTML, XHTML, SMIL, MathML, etc.
    If you wish to validate specific content such as RSS/Atom feeds or CSS stylesheets or to find broken links, there are other validators and tools available.
    Below is a post I used in another forum to a new web designer looking for a few good links to get him started. This has nothing to do about how well your site(s) look, just additional information you could possiblely use. Keep up the good work.
    --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - --- - - - ---
    If you are unable to come up with a web design... Use somebody else's! Here is a few websites with free open source web designs. free to use, modify and redistribute.
    Open source, isn't it great?
    Now that you have a few links for templates, maybe you need to learn a bit of XHTML/HTML & CSS.

Finally want to build your own? Try going to school!

Leading the Web to Its Full Potential...The rest you can Google.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

First of all, more pictures will add bulk to your pages and will add to the amount of time that it takes for them to load. If you keep it all or mostly text, then good for you. That's smart web design. Pretty is nice for broadband users only. Text will offer a nice website to all network speeds. (Look at Google, which is the most popular search engine in the world.) For instance, your background image is 104 KB. Dial-up users will see this page at 56 kbps, which is about 7 KB per second at a maximum speed. At 7 KB per second, the background image alone would take around 14 sec to load and not even a second more for the rest of the page to load. You should design your page to load in under 10 seconds.

Second, do not use a table structure. This is being phased out and should not be used at all. It's easier to use a table structure, but you should actually be using CSS. Read up on positioning and formatting with Cascading Style Sheets.

Third, test your pages in both FireFox and Internet Explorer. The majority of users surf the net with Internet Explorer, but FireFox is generally used by the IT professionals. Aside from that, FireFox follows the standards that have been set, whereas Internet Explorer makes its own rules. With that said, however, Microsoft is moving Internet Explorer more toward the standards, so your pages will be more likely to work with Internet Explorer 8, if you code them to look proper in FireFox.

Last edited by itPro; May 30th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.