Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citibank ATM Scare: Who Has Your PIN?

Jobs have become de-skilled, staff have been cut and the checks and balances of old have gone out the window.
    Furthermore, junior staff had training, career progression and other incentives. You would get a decent pension and you were regarded as a professional. Not the sort of things you threw away lightly for a few quick bucks?
    Boy, I think you've summed up the root cause of a grand multitude of IT and IT security problems abroad right there.

Today you have more and more IT people not knowing what they're doing, yet in charge of a volume of sensitive data. In their defense (as I've been that ignorant IT person myself in past jobs), the problem is often a lack of training as opposed to a lack of competence. No one's seriously investing in them.

And consequently, IT is no longer (if it ever was) a well regarded profession. Ya know, there's a world of difference between "IT Professional" and "computer guy", and nowadays everyone is seen as the latter.

I.T. union, anyone?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well to be honest I am still learning the ropes.

I have just come into my real first job - two months down the line I was taking home the server back up tapes?

Who gives sensitive company data to someone whom just started? The admins would go tour europe and leave me in charge. I could steal any keys or anything off the server I want.

And I get no training whatsoever.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Who gives sensitive company data to someone whom just started?
    That's exactly what happened with my first job out of college!

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Crazy stuff. No professionalsim.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein