Thread: what exactly is this forum for?

Hybrid View

Ninja Code Monkey

what exactly is this forum for?

There's no real description under the title...

And how are we defining 'systems development' in this context?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Well, I would suggest it is to cover development standards, methodologies and tools to support them.

Stuff like SSADM, Prince2, Catalyst, Phase Review, CMM and so on. Basically "structured methodologies"?

Ninja Code Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Well, I would suggest it is to cover development standards, methodologies and tools to support them.

Stuff like SSADM, Prince2, Catalyst, Phase Review, CMM and so on. Basically "structured methodologies"?
    Hrm, that sounds more like processes, practices, and procedures than technology standards.

What about those areas beyond project management/sdlc standards?

Standards as laid down by government bodies? Industry best practices? Why I love/hate the standards for web applications set forth by owasp?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

What about those areas beyond project management/sdlc standards?

Standards as laid down by government bodies? Industry best practices? Why I love/hate the standards for web applications set forth by owasp?
    Yes, I would say that all those belong just as comfortably. I am afraid that I just pulled a few ideas off the top of my head.

We already have:

Web Security
    Programming Security
    Regulatory Compliance

But those are at the hands on development level or deal with legal issues and audits?

This is more the Team Leader/Project Leader/ Project Manager/ Programme Manager level of focus. Not to mention our student members who might have to face term papers or exam questions

Hrm, that sounds more like processes, practices, and procedures than technology standards.
    Yes, those levels merely support your technology standards and your development models. I guess it is a "full life cycle" kind of concept.