Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Active Directory help!!`

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Dont worry dude. I was trying to get wsus up and running at work and it said .net wasnt installed when it was.

So what did I do , uninstall!

As it started uninstalling , the whole office starting screamiing that their mail wasnt working.

I had broken exchange, our of office
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

oh no!

At least this was just the students, and I had some credibility stored up, our mail server was malfunctioning this morning, and I was able to get that going again... Thanks for the confidence booster.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    that wasnt supposed to ne a confidence booster :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The more mistakes you make the more you learn.. but if you keep making the same mistake...your insane
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Quote Originally Posted by Und3ertak3r
    The more mistakes you make the more you learn.. but if you keep making the same mistake...your insane
    Very true. I had just gotten so used to clicking ok on those warning messages, that I had stopped reading them. Two keystrokes caused me a ton of work.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    I done some doosies.....some are very good learning experiences.

One thing I have done that usually saves alot of time....have a recovery plan...just in case

backup before fiddling....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

If you don't already have it, check your backup software for an active directory agent. It'll do backups of your AD and you can restore objects that have been corrupted, deleted, etc. It's generally pretty inexpensive for an agent like that but can save you a lot of $ in time.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by phishphreek
    If you don't already have it, check your backup software for an active directory agent. It'll do backups of your AD and you can restore objects that have been corrupted, deleted, etc. It's generally pretty inexpensive for an agent like that but can save you a lot of $ in time.
    Sounds like a great idea. I think I will definitely look into it. I am just glad that all of the users files were still intact. Now I just need to go through the painstaking process of mapping their folder to their profile one by one. I have them all where they can log in now, and I have assigned group policy. They can save to the local disk until I get that worked out. I will just tell the teachers to make them use assigned seats ... All in all it hasn't been as much of a nightmare as I first thought it was going to be. Thanks again to the AO community for all of the suggestions and personal accounts of screwing up .

-HST

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    All in all it hasn't been as much of a nightmare as I first thought it was going to be
    Well, I'm glad your situation has worked out to a point where you see an end in sight. I'm still convinced that servers should come with a health warning label and a pack of Demerol for anyone who has to deal with them daily.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Sounds like a great idea. I think I will definitely look into it. I am just glad that all of the users files were still intact. Now I just need to go through the painstaking process of mapping their folder to their profile one by one. I have them all where they can log in now, and I have assigned group policy. They can save to the local disk until I get that worked out. I will just tell the teachers to make them use assigned seats ... All in all it hasn't been as much of a nightmare as I first thought it was going to be. Thanks again to the AO community for all of the suggestions and personal accounts of screwing up .
    you might be able to whip up a login script and apply it to all the affected users, with a creative version of the net use command and the %username% variable :>
    ...:::Pure Kn0wledge:::...