Thread: World's biggest cyberheist

World's biggest cyberheist

This personal data theft is estimated to have a potential revenue of £2.8 billion (GBP)

Story here:

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/her...432225.0.0.php

AN INTERNATIONAL criminal gang has pulled off one of the most audacious cyber-crimes ever and stolen the identities of an estimated eight million people in a hacking raid that could ultimately net more than £2.8billion in illegal funds.
    It is a move that has been dubbed the greatest cyber-heist in world history. The attack scooped up the personal details of every single customer that has booked into one of Best Western's 1312 continental hotels since 2007.
    With eight million people staying in the hotel group's 86,375 continental rooms every year, gaining access to the system is a major coup for the cyber-criminals responsible. Given that criminals now have access to all bookings from 2007-2008, and based on the FBI-sponsored Internet Crime Complaint Center's reports that the average victim of internet crime loses £356, they are sitting on a potential haul of at least £2.84bn.
    Guests with concerns are advised to contact Best Western customer service at 0800 528-1238
    Guess which customer service department I am glad I don't work for?

Smile

Ouch.

I am curious as to know what if any group will be claiming responsibility for this "cracking".

I imagine most the details will be sold of in smaller amounts to Russian carders.

A few sites i frequent regarding carding haven't seen much influx of activity regarding cc detail selling/trading.

But i do wonder just how long this has been kept "hush hush" prior to this being announced.

Guess which customer service department I am glad I don't work for?
    LMFAO... That is crazy! freezing that many bank/stock/etc... would or maybe will be very bad!
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...naturecopy.jpg

You Haven't Lived Until You Have Died...

Question

But would be so so amusing to watch all the complaints and comotion erupt when it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ArPaNET
    LMFAO... That is crazy! freezing that many bank/stock/etc... would or maybe will be very bad!