Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IP Address Stolen Former Employer Sues

IP Address Stolen Former Employer Sues

Someone please help.

My former employer is suing me for trademark enfringement based upon their "fact" that they claim 3rd party subpoenas will show that my IP address was used to post defamitory information about them to craigslist, which also points to several of my Yahoo email accounts.

I'm still currently unemployed and broke and although i've attempted to retain an attorney, I can't afford him for too long at $5000.00 per week.

My former employer is claiming that I have two IP addresses. When I looked them up, they report that one is in NJ and I'm located about 30 minutes west of downtown Atlanta. The other shows my IP in Brussels Belgium and another shows it in Amsterdam.

I'm not sure how I can have two IP addresses.

I use craigslist for a lot of different things, but this wasn't one of them. When you post to craigslist, they send a confirmation email. I never saw a confirmation email.

I also have an old (free) aol account. My former employer's attorney claims that one of the postings was also associated with that email account. I've attempted to change the password on this account, but apparently it cannot be done with a free, non-paying account.

My ISP is Comcast, but I had it disconnected for 3 days. Today when I had it reconnected, of course it has been reassigned a new IP address. Problem solved????

My computer is second-hand, purchased from a former co-worker with the same employer who is attempting to sue me.

I've never used Outlook, in fact, I don't know how, but it was always popping up whenever I tried to initiate an email through a link. I always had to copy/paste after closing Outlook. When I began digging further and finally got Outlook to pull up, I've found almost 900 emails to the former owner of this computer. In fact, it still has his name listed there as well as at the DOS menu box that comes up when you type in "cmd" in the "run" box.

Today, while speaking with the tech from Comcast, he verified that it is possible to get your IP address from an email, which is consistent with the information I have been able to assertain from the Internet. When I asked if it was possible to steal and use someone else's IP address to post to message boards, etc., he stated "absolutely."

All these things considered, I guess it's plausible, but considering my email address(es) breach(es), can someone help me put two and two together? Is there anything definitive?

My former employer now wants my computer to make a "mirror" of my hard drive. Initially I had no problem with it. Then they said they wanted to only look at the period (or dates) in question. That seemed okay too, until now. If someone has accessed my computer, either in my home or remotely, what can they find out???? If it looks like me, I'm afraid some judge (who will probably be as ignorant as I am), will go with 'expert' testimony of the former employer and I can't afford an expert to dispute their claims.

These people want my first born, home and to garnish my future wages for the rest of my life. I'm not stupid....I'm just broke. What can I do? Can someone help me figure this out????????

Thanks in advance.

I am guessing from your post that you did not reinstall any OS onto your hard drive after acquiring the pc from the former user...

big mistake

if that former owner had any malicious intentions, you are in trouble as he may be able to remotely access your pc and/or has installed any number or monitoring/trojan software

this may have nothing to do with your post, but just my 2 cents:

always format if you buy a used pc

Are you by any chance using any proxies?
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I'm still currently unemployed and broke and although i've attempted to retain an attorney, I can't afford him for too long at $5000.00 per week.
    Can you say...B__l S__t? For one thing : you place lawyers on retainer, it's not a week-to-week, and they deduct out of that retainer. Secondly, if you're really unemployed and broke where the ell' are you coming up with $5000 a week, cause I would really like to know because I sure as ell' could use the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyB
    Someone please help.

My former employer is suing me for trademark enfringement based upon their "fact" that they claim 3rd party subpoenas will show that my IP address was used to post defamitory information about them to craigslist, which also points to several of my Yahoo email accounts.

My former employer is claiming that I have two IP addresses. When I looked them up, they report that one is in NJ and I'm located about 30 minutes west of downtown Atlanta. The other shows my IP in Brussels Belgium and another shows it in Amsterdam.

I'm not sure how I can have two IP addresses.

I use craigslist for a lot of different things, but this wasn't one of them. When you post to craigslist, they send a confirmation email. I never saw a confirmation email.

I also have an old (free) aol account. My former employer's attorney claims that one of the postings was also associated with that email account. I've attempted to change the password on this account, but apparently it cannot be done with a free, non-paying account.

My ISP is Comcast, but I had it disconnected for 3 days. Today when I had it reconnected, of course it has been reassigned a new IP address. Problem solved????

My computer is second-hand, purchased from a former co-worker with the same employer who is attempting to sue me.

I've never used Outlook, in fact, I don't know how, but it was always popping up whenever I tried to initiate an email through a link. I always had to copy/paste after closing Outlook. When I began digging further and finally got Outlook to pull up, I've found almost 900 emails to the former owner of this computer. In fact, it still has his name listed there as well as at the DOS menu box that comes up when you type in "cmd" in the "run" box.

Today, while speaking with the tech from Comcast, he verified that it is possible to get your IP address from an email, which is consistent with the information I have been able to assertain from the Internet. When I asked if it was possible to steal and use someone else's IP address to post to message boards, etc., he stated "absolutely."

All these things considered, I guess it's plausible, but considering my email address(es) breach(es), can someone help me put two and two together? Is there anything definitive?

My former employer now wants my computer to make a "mirror" of my hard drive. Initially I had no problem with it. Then they said they wanted to only look at the period (or dates) in question. That seemed okay too, until now. If someone has accessed my computer, either in my home or remotely, what can they find out???? If it looks like me, I'm afraid some judge (who will probably be as ignorant as I am), will go with 'expert' testimony of the former employer and I can't afford an expert to dispute their claims.

These people want my first born, home and to garnish my future wages for the rest of my life. I'm not stupid....I'm just broke. What can I do? Can someone help me figure this out????????

Thanks in advance.
    #1 - DO NOT USE THE PC.. Turn it OFF and put it into a sealed plastic bag along with your modem.
    #2 - Find a Tech savvy legal team..
    #3 - Find a Forensics company to create a couple of Images of your drive (your legal team should be able to advise).. BEFORE your former employer has a crack at it..
    #4 - Your legal team will possibly request your usage logs from your ISP
    #5 - Grab your diary and make sure you can account for every single second of your time during the period in question..as well as a month or two before.. and since
    #6 - You had better be sure you tell your Legal team the bloody truth.. cause any BS.. and they will not trust you at all.. and that is worse than a hostile judge... Every tiff you had while working with this employer.. have a bloody good look at every thing that you have said.. on the Web and to co-workers...

As for suing your ass into your next life.. that is BS.. they can't.. the worst they can do is force you to bankrupt.. Your so called $5k/week lawyer SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT.. he/she is an idiot.. that is why I listed #2..

DO NOT TRY TO DELETE ANY INFORMATION ON YOUR PC.. Cause if you are guilty of a crime.. deleting the information will confirm your guilt..

I won't raise the issue of why you were dismissed in the first place.. your legal team will ask you that in the first 5 minutes.. see my comment about being honest with them..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB
    Unless I can't count anymore that's three addresses. One in NJ, one in Brussels and one in Amsterdam.

One thing you need to remember. They're the ones doing the suing so the burden of proof is on them. They need to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are guilty.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    Unless I can't count anymore that's three addresses. One in NJ, one in Brussels and one in Amsterdam.

One thing you need to remember. They're the ones doing the suing so the burden of proof is on them. They need to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are guilty.

Yes and What is the presumed charge? is it Trademark infringement - that is a commercial charge..
    Or is it Defamation?

And if it is posting of defamitory information using your employers name/logo.. weeelllll .. that is neither defamation nor Trademark... That is fraud..
    As I said.. sack the useless 5k week Lawyer.. and get real advice.. and while your at it. Counter Sue your former employer.... Verbal.. Making of malicious threats to cause concern or harm.. (I discovered a few years ago that playing a joke on someone of implying that they were in serious trouble.. got the joker in serious trouble.. Yes in Aus it is a crime to have a practical joke of that nature)
    So while some may see your post as BS.. (which it could be) It could be someone elses BS that you're a victim of.. Get good advice.. don't trust us bush lawyers.. free legal advice is worth every cent...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

1. Can anybody explain the relationship between "trademark enfringement" and defamation?

2. Can anyone explain how an IP address (that actually belongs to the ISP) in any way proves who actually used it (assuming, of course, that it wasn't spoofed)? Particularly in a civil lawsuit?

3. What the hell kind of legal system requires the defendant in a civil lawsuit provide information to support the case of the plaintiff?

4. I can only comment for relative civilisation, but it works like this: scumbag threatens to sue and I ignore............... I could give more details but really, I can't be bothered. The basic rule is that if you are "clean" you don't do anything until a properly appointed court tells you that you have a case to answer. Otherwise you will not be able to recover your legal costs.

5. Ah! it is breakfast time over here, and I can smell the kippers frying.......... well something fishy anyway?

EDIT:

Undies~ makes some good points in the above post.

This bit is very important:

their "fact" that they claim 3rd party subpoenas will show that my IP address was used to post defamatory information about them
    That is a very interesting use of the future tense?

It implies that they do not already have this evidence? That doesn't surprise me, because they would have to pay the ISP anything that they chose to charge, this being a civil matter.

But, they seem to be able to predict the future?............... which implies planting evidence and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. That takes us into the realm of felony offenses and free legal advice?

Try your local District Attorney and the FBI for some free advice.

Be sure that you are as pure as the driven snow, because once you unleash the forces of darkness there is no stopping them.

Do not let anyone near your records or equipment and make sure that all communications are in writing, and that alone, and certainly NOT e-mails..

By the way, what exactly was the "defamatory information"?
    Last edited by nihil; August 27th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

You better hope that that is not a stolen computer. You don't know how to use Outlook but you are able to stumble into antionline land. This better be a *BS post otherwise DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE THE ETHERNET CARD BEFORE THE STORM. Their servers only know of you through the ID and the media address.

remove the barcodes and serial numbers from the device. remove serial numbers out of the bios. Search the registry for said company name. Remove the Microsoft access key label on the unit. If this is a custom windows machine, move the system folder and "My Document" folders to random directorys. They might use a simple tool to find items only their custom image will reveal. Hackers like to brag even more when they are close to being caught....shut up.

No touchy

Keep in mind that any changes made to the system after being informed of this action could be seen as an attempt to cover up the "crime" and could be used as evidence of your "guilt".

I would heed Und3ertak3rs advice.