Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN

The part that confuses me about it is that, don't all the computers in one network all have the same external IP? so how does it know which computer to connect to if i just have a switch?

Exactly my point, there would be no destination once the traffic hits the switch. Unless it is a MANAGED switch setup correctly or a ROUTER.

Just Another Geek
    No.. You need to forward the correct ports and protocols to the correct computer on the ROUTER.

A switch works on layer 2 (managed or not). VPN is (encrypted) IP over IP, IP is layer 3.
    Traffic doesn't "hit the switch" it passes through it. It's the router that needs to be set up to forward/route traffic.

A managed switch has an IP address so you can manage it. I.e. enable/disable ports, set the speed/duplex settings etc.
    The managed switch's IP address is used for that, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by SirDice; September 20th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    It's the router that needs to be set up to forward/route traffic.
    Are you saying a router would be necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by metguru
    Are you saying a router would be necessary?
    Yes. It doesn't matter if it's a "hardware router" or just a computer configured to be a router. You can use a Windows server or Linux box if you want to. IPCop makes it pretty easy. http://www.ipcop.org/

The part that confuses me about it is that, don't all the computers in one network all have the same external IP? so how does it know which computer to connect to if i just have a switch?
    The router will handle that. If you have a DSL modem, it is most likely a router. Otherwise you couldn't have multiple PCs connected to the internet. Keep in mind that the capabilities of the "modem" that they gave you are very limited when it comes to routing. I'd configure it to "static NAT" to a real router which has the VPN capabilities.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've gotten the VPN to work... somewhat. I pinged the server right as I connected to the VPN (with the internal IP), and it only replied a few times, then timed out. I'm not sure what this means, but it seems to be better than what i had before. I connected to the server through remote desktop, and it came up to say that all the packets sent from the server were received by the client VPN, but only some of the packets sent through to the VPN server are actually making it.

My VPN server is not actually a router in itself, as I'm using windows XP's built in VPN server software, because I only will have one client. I'm fairly sure the clients modem isn't actually a router because the IP on ipconfig is not an internal IP, as opposed to being behind a router, when It'd be an internal address. I'm trying to give as much info as possible, but if you need any more info i forgot to give, please feel free to ask.

Just Another Geek
    Lower the MTU of the traffic that's being routed over the VPN. Do note that a VPN is basically IP over IP so the packets that are encapsulated can't be the same size as a 'regular' IP packet.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Where would I change this setting? In VPN settings, or in the router? I'm sorry, I understand what you're saying, I just don't know which to do, because it would seem to me that if I did it at the router, It would just block the packet, which is not what I want, but also, I cannot seem to find where I would change that in the VPN settings.

AOs Resident Troll
    You would do it on the router\modem...and no it wont block the traffic....

http://help.expedient.net/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Sorry, I've been busy, so I haven't been able to thank everyone for their help until now. So thank you all!