Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malware leeching BW and running up bills ?

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Yes they will work from command line but it depends on how your hard drive is formatted to make the scans work from a bootable CD. NTFS is tricky since you have to load a read/write driver and then do a scan.
    Dunno why NTFS should be a issue..
    You Have the Window's Preinstalled Environment (Win-PE) Cd's aka Winbuilder and Bart PE .. these have no issues with NTFS.. have worked well for me for over 4 years.. and with tools for (remote) registry editing. not only do you get the malware files .. but you also get to hit the registry entries that say.. "If my files deleted..redownload from one of these sites"..

While not a Linux user for windows system recovery.. the various OS live CD's have been reporting excellent results with NTFS.. I have not worked with these because of the registry editing factor (If someone tells me there is a *nix Live OS app that supports Windows remote registry editing let me know)

Regarding Ciders Issue;
    @Cider

What was the problem with the Phone account? was it Calls? or Data Usage?
    If it's Calls.. then yes look for Diallers (Spybot SnD used to do an excellent job against them)
    If its Data.. then you're looking for a SPAM worm (spyware is not so obvious on the BW usage.. noticable but not that obvious)

As for NTFS usage.. My impression is that All Vista Installs are NTFS.. BUT with XP.. some OEM's were still lumbering people with FAT32 partitions
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; September 21st, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Quote Originally Posted by Und3ertak3r
    As for NTFS usage.. My impression is that All Vista Installs are NTFS.. BUT with XP.. some OEM's were still lumbering people with FAT32 partitions
    NTFS is used more these days, but i regulary have machines come in or go to site's with machines still using fat32.

seems some legacy apps just don't want to play nicely with ntfs and ceo's would rather spend the money funding the next business trip then to get some coder in to update software.

I was talking about using it from DOS since some one brought it up, Win-PE is not command line.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    I was talking about using it from DOS since some one brought it up, Win-PE is not command line.
    Well not completely true... Win-PE IS command line...well scripted tool.. But the CD you create using that tool can be CLI or Gui..depends on how you setup your PE disk.. it can be completely Command line or operated from from GUI.. depends on the person setting it up.. .. mind many people setting up their PE disks will set it to be usable with a GUI.. so in the general tense your correct..

As for DOS.. haven't used DOS as in DOS 6 for 4 or 5 years.. but I had a early Live CD with NTFS drivers lifted from a WIN2k install along with a brace of DOS apps.. and some NT command line tools for working with NT based pc's... quickly found it easier to build my live cd's with the PE builder and use XP command line tools..(some of hose could be traced back to the DOS tools)
    Just never found it to be flakey at all.. only early *Nix NTFS drivers were hit and miss..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr